low voltage cable for burial?

I am looking for some cable for my irrigation system project (See earlier post!)

It is to control various 12v 4w electric valves - the stuff BT use would be ideal I think!

4 pairs or above would be the sort of think I am after (The more the better really, or I will have to do more runs!)

Anyone know of a good [cheap!] place (I am in Kent)

Thanks!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Why not use standard phone cable, as it is only low voltage. This should have at least 4 wires

NewsGroups

Standard phone cable, ad in the "normal" white stuff used when wiring extensions in the house? If this is what you mean, I am not sure it would be wise to bury this! If you mean stuff made for burying, where do I get it from (I don't know any BT engineers!)

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Is there any burglar alarm cable designed for burying? This would be usefull as it generally comes in a variety of different number of wires.

Reply to
Ric

Not cheap but . . . . .

Nick Brooks

Use heavy duty conduit and put the cable in this. You can bury the cunduit in the ground. Or what about metal piping to encase the cable.

NewsGroups

If I can avoid this, I want to, as it is more work, and more cost!

The cable will be buried next to MDPE water pipe anyway (Probably cable tied to it), so it will be sort of protected!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

I think the armour would be a bit OTT to be honest - I plan to run the cable alongside the irrigation pipes so

would probably be ok!

Any idea if this will be happy with 12v @ 4w

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

It'll depend on the length you need and the voltage drop you are prepared to accept but even the 1/0.50mm stuff should be OK for 50W

NB

Reply to
Nick Brooks

Just re-read this and realised you said 4w not 4v so you'll only be using tiny currents

Reply to
Nick Brooks

How about using CAT5 cable?

Mike

Reply to
fred bloggs

In article , fred bloggs writes

We've had some old phone type cable buried for some 20 odd years and its still fine..

Except when we dug it up by mistake but the outer covering was as good as ever:)

Reply to
tony sayer

"Sparks" wrote | It is to control various 12v 4w electric valves - the stuff BT use | would be ideal I think! | 4 pairs or above would be the sort of think I am after (The more | the better really, or I will have to do more runs!) | Anyone know of a good [cheap!] place (I am in Kent)

For direct burial you really need jelly-filled cable, which will not be cheap, especially if you are buying it by the metre.

You could try

(I'm writing offline so can't check that URL is still okay) but the best way is probably to wave some beer vouchers under the nose of an exterior cable installer, BT or one of their subcontractors (eg Fujitsu)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Maplin have a variety of suitable cables. Don't know where they are in Kent but can't believe they're not there somewhere.

Reply to
G&M

In message , G&M writes

Depends which part of Kent! The nearest Maplin to me is at the junction of the A20 and the South Circular. Other than that, they're in Chatham, Maidstone & Westcliff-on-Sea (W-onS !!!).

Reply to
stejonda_privacy

Buery it in a bit of plastic 15mm water pipe and eakl teh ends with expaniding foam.

Probably cheaper than buying armored underground cable, if its all for very low power...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not forgetting Bromley and Thurrock Retail Park.

MH

Reply to
Mary Hinge

In message , Mary Hinge writes

Bromley??? - where???

eeek - tunnel & bridge syndrome!

Reply to
stejonda_privacy

In message , "dave @ stejonda" writes

oh, there!!! - expensive to park in Bromley

Reply to
stejonda_privacy