low pressure shower valve

I have persevered with poor flow and temperature control from my shower for some time but recently decided to do something about it. It didn't take lo ng to find what I think is the problem. The thermostatic exposed bar valve is a Grohtherm 1000 which according to the spec requires a minimum inlet pr essure of 0.5 bar. I only have a pressure head of 0.1 bar, i.e. water level in cold tank is approx 0.1 metre above the shower head. I am thinking of replacing the valve with one that has the correct spec, po ssibly a Mira Coda Pro, but as they are quite expensive I don't want to do it if it won't solve the problem. Does anybody have any experience of the M ira Coda Pro? Can anybody recommend any other make/model which will do the jovb? Cheers Petek

Reply to
petek

I don't think you'll ever get a decent flow by gravity alone with that pressure.

Are both feeds at the same pressure - i.e. cold directly from header tank and hot from hot cylinder fed by the same header tank? If so, consider using a booster pump such as this if you can find somewhere to put it.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Do the sensible thing and install a water softener and mains pressure tank.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I agree. A pump will probably work out cheaper as well.

We simply have a pump to achieve decent shower rate of flow. Why do you say installing a water softener and mains pressure tank is the sensible option?

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Oops - looks like I omitted to a link for a pump. Try this one

but there are lots of others.

Just noticed that it claims to be "regenerative". Not sure what that means in this context. Anyone?

Reply to
Roger Mills

pump-1-5bar/20423#_=p

Thanks for your comments but didn't want to go as far as installing a pump. Especially as the shower in the other bathroom, which has the same head of water obviously, has a reasonable flow . I should have mentioned this in m y original post. Anyway, decided to go ahead and fit the replacement Mira Coda valve. The fl ow is now adequate, while not being "forceful", and better than with the ol d Grohe valve. So I'm happy I did it. However it could be that most of the improvement came from fitting the new filters in the inlet ports. You shoul d have seen the crud that was obviously partially blocking the old filters! So, I now have a perfectly good, used Grohe valve that I have no use for. I f you're interested keep your eye on Ebay in the next few days. I also have the riser bar, flex hose and shower head for the Mira shower th at I didn't need. I bought the complete kit from Screwfix which was cheaper than buying the valve alone. £90 for the complete kit. This will be o n Ebay also if anybody is interested. Thanks again for your help and advice. Cheers Petek

Reply to
petek