Low energy lamps with dimmer

By that criteria we'd probably all assume you normally typed under the glare of a single fairy lamp :-)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Therein lies the problem. The fluorescents are bad enough in terms of producing a rather dim and bilious light. Having something that makes cold and bilious is even worse.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I wonder if MR16s that run from 12v could be better than GU10s that run from mains.

With mains I'd expect less conversion efficiency and greater heat losses, and the hotter the fitting the less light the LEDs will give out.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

has it arrived? if so can I check does ours "hum" sligly at full brigtness? Just wondering if mine is normal or not.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I have brought several LED GU-10 units over the last year.

Some I have put in the bathroom - white tiled walls contrasting strongly with blue paint and tile ... well the blue-white of "white" LED is fine there, and the blue LEDs are good too. Others into the daughter's bedroom ... "white" is generally acceptable there too. Lastly (on the GU-10 front) the hallway ... has a dimmer on it to drop use to low levels at night without going to total darkness. Not suitable for LEDs.

General result : the coloured ones aren't a problem, but in both cases Their Ladyships insist on having an incandescent pointing at the mirror, so they can get their face paint correct. I don't see the problem, but I can see where a problem could arise, so I take the ~75% energy savings and wait for the next generation. LEDs are not a cure-all (I use colour at work, and I am very picky about the lamps for my microscope); but for regular use they're a 4-for-50 swap, in terms of power used.

Reply to
Aidan Karley

To the extent that the lamp was failing to deliver it's effect? I ask as someone who is well acquainted with the effects of peculiar "colour", and consider it just another issue. But for someone else's decorative lighting, that's something I take pretty casually. If I want two things to match in colour, I bring them adjacent, or bring them adjacent to a colour standard. Under (of course) the same lighting. Having said that, I've almost lost a grand this month due to colour f*ck-ups, which has been a warning to me. Different topic - I'll describe in a separate message on ... "OT? Colour Specifying Furniture"

Reply to
Aidan Karley

These were in a run of wall washers, so the effect remains ok, but there is growing variation in brightness now depending on how many LEDs each lamp has lost. It was just surprising how quickly LEDs began to fail.

There is also a concealed uplighting run of blue LED rope lights in a raised section of ceiling (these have performed better with no dropped LEDs yet).

Reply to
John Rumm

so, a heat effect (the up-facing ones being able to dissipate heat better)?

Reply to
Si

I think it is just a reflection of how hard they were being driven. The uplight rope has far more LEDs with each being less stressed. Shame that can't be said for the PSU that drives them though - that needed replacing within four months.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, it has now arrived and appears to work well. It is absolutely silent at all settings.

Reply to
Malcolm H

I bought a couple of 12V led's to replace some 20W halogens. 6 months later half the led's have gone and one flickered so badly I had to take it out, making any money savings on energy use a moot point.

I'm generally in favour of energy-saving lighting but I've had trouble and failures with GU10 replacements, both CFL and LED, that i don't get with the standard 12W "replace your 60w bulb with this" CFL's.

Reply to
marting

Thus spake marting ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) unto the assembled multitudes:

Agreed - I have had several GU10 CFLs fail fairly quickly. One failed within 3 days, but at least I got a free replacement. I have two 240V GU10 LED lamps on the go, sharing with two CFLs in a four-lamp wall-mounted fitting (though it was sold as a ceiling unit). Taking bets now as to which lamp fails first :-)

Reply to
A.Clews

ho-hum another 9w GU10 CFL bites the dust. I'm going to try a couple of

5W cold cathodes and see how they go... if they bite the dust I'm waiting 5 years for the technology to improve :-(
Reply to
marting

In the meantime, the Tesco near us has 240V 50W GU10 lamps - two in a=20 blister pack - for =A31

Reply to
Colin Wilson

So thats only a £1 a month for every 4 lights you have.,..;-)

I pay about that for 12v ones.

MOSTLY they last about 2-3 years.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher