Low energy candle bulbs

About a year ago I thought we should try and be energy efficient so I replaced (as the incandescent ones died) the 8 candle bulbs in the living room with low energy ones (half from B&Q and half from Screwfix - but named brands).

Now one is very slow to get up to full brightness (about 2 minutes) and the others do not seem as bright.

Is that a common experience?

Reply to
John

Lot of electronics in cramped space, 1 in 6 seriously failing after 12 months is pretty good for CFLs ;-)

Guess they are running base down, base up will kill them quicker.

Fluro will deprecaite over time , some worse than others.

Personally, get some quality light in your living space, halogen candles

Adam Aglionby

Yes. People are used to filament lamps dying at end of life. CFL's often don't actually die, but carry on operating way past end of life, poorly. A year is bit disappointing for a CFL, depending how much they're used of course.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In article , Adam Aglionby writes

though, they must run very hot, being enclosed.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Output does fall over time, its one of the reasons most of us here recommend getting bulbs of higher wattage than recommended on the box.

You're still saving money & energy.

NT

Reply to
NT

Yup, that's the usual experience. The candle ones do get v hot and don't last long in my experience. I've compromised with the ordinary cfls instead - some of the tubes are getting quite short nowadays so they are not as intrusive as they were. Though we had to use narrow screw candles in a bedroom 'candelarbra', and they were expensive 'cold' and give out almost no light at all now!

spamlet

I've got CFL candles in the bedroom (slow, dim) but for the lounge I couldn't tolerate either, and there's a dimmer there that we do use for watching TV, so I didn't go for CFLs but stuck with incandescents. I've since replaced these with adapters from Bell lamps that convert an SBC fitting to take a G9 halogen with a glass globe over the top to keep it looking like a candle.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

What sort of lamp life do you get?

We have twin SBC candles (25W) in two wall fittings in our lounge. Opal candles are getting rarer and they don't last overlong. Because of the wall mounting, clear glass gives filament patterns on the wall and annoys the boss. I imagine G9 25W is going to be far too bright.

Do you get a colour change when dimming halogens?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Get G( in 20W eco versions and 10W commonly, 240V UK versions for prefernce not 230V Euro ones

Warms up, colour temp shifts down the way, goes warm , perfect for wall mounted candles usually, extends lamp life as well.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

In message , Adam Aglionby writes

Ah! I'm a long way behind the curve on lighting developments. The plethora of acronyms denoting something newer and better are rather daunting. Perhaps I should get out more:-)

OK Ta.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

G9 is probably more common than G( ;-) Mains voltage capsules share some lifteime issues with GU10...

20W is IR reflective envelope version equivalent to 25W and alot more expensive, if its just for glow stick 10s in.

Euro lamps are for nominal 230V genuine UK market lamps are 240V it makes a diffrence to lifespan.

Get the goldie looking globes from Bell as well.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby