Low capital solar for low temperature space heating?

Thanks, but I need figures for what real-world losses are from the front surface of this sort of collector. You really can't predict that with any confidence. Rearward losses (courtesy of 6" of rockwool) are effectively zero in comparison.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mark" saying something like:

heater was a dreadful design and has been improved radically in recent years by many people, some collaborating via yahoo groups and some just putting their improvements up on the net - then JtF come along and say it was something to do with them.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

However I'd really like to avoid any sort of flame in here, on account of the fire risk. That's one reason I'm thinking solar.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

If you have scrap wood, get a wood burning stove and a double skinned chimbley.

no chance of any sparks leaping out except when you load.

REALLY efficient. spit out a shitload of heat.

If you have access to about 3-4 cu ft of scrap wood a day.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Understandable, ive got a separate semi-fireproof structure that holds my workshop heating generator.

-
Reply to
Mark

Quite possibly, it was just a pointer to something that would produce heat at 9am on a freezing winter's morning, rather then DIY solar, which would not.

-
Reply to
Mark

S'ok. I don't do Winter mornings anyway... 8-)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

What kind of woodworker wastes that much? :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

someone making up say 50 doors a day?

I could not believe how much sawdust the firm that made mine produces, as well as short unusable lenghts of plank.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Green woodworkers and turners. If you're working from logs directly (i.e. no-one else has generated the initial waste streams from it) then the amount of waste you can produce, relative to merely everyday production levels, is surprisingly large.

Unfortunately it's also as green (i.e. damp) thick shavings and unless it's ash, you have to wait for a week before they'll burn.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Well yes, but when God made time She made plenty of it :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Not enough of it though 8-(

Reply to
Andy Dingley

LOL! Some folk are never happy.

Especially with something a woman does :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

She didn't always make the storage space required to keep a week's worth of shavings though.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Or recycle a bit of heat internally before it's lost to the outside, tends to mean a small fan is needed though.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

You'll have to rent another field :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I can keep a months shavings in my electric shaver ;-)

Dave

I've got me coat on.

Reply to
Dave

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mark" saying something like:

Fwiw, I'd recommend a bit of digging around and start off with a couple of yahoo groups; vegoilburners and wastewatts to name but two. There's a pile of info on this sort of stuff; here's a starter...

... I recommend the Military Heater on ebay thread (heavy going, but worth it) and also look for stuff from Tim C Cook there too. Google for Steve Spence's site - he's got a lot of stuff going.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon