Loudspeaker query

My pc has mini speakers with a subwoofer (powered) My old Technics hi-fi is on its last legs. I am considering replacing the computer mini speakers with those from the hi-fi (6 ohm) rather than chucking them out. The subwoofer will have to stay as this contains the power supply. Is there likely to be a problem?

Reply to
Jim S

Check the resistance of the PC speakers. The reading from a DVM won't be that much different from the nominal impedance. I've seen some which are quite high impedance - about 30 ohms - and an amp to drive those may not like 6 ohm types.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

if the pc speakers are 4-8 ohms itll be fine.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Make sure you get the loudspeaker phasing (polarity) correct, it's surprising how many people are unaware of its importance.

Reply to
Graham.

You will also need to find out the sensitivity, as the relative volumes of the new to the old ones is unknown it probably just going to be a suck it and see job. Other wise keep the speakers so any new system you get can use them for another room. the impedance of speakers varies with frequency, especially if they have a crossover unit inside.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff