Loudspeaker diameter query

I have quite a nice portable tranny that has a dead loudspeaker - the magnet has fallen off and try as I may I cannot get it to align to give a passable performance.

I can get a possible replacement off Ebay but does anyone know if the measurement given is the total diameter - ie across the metalwork - or just the diameter of the diaphragm?

Thanks Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham

That is an art ;-)

Usually the total,

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Afair, it's the overall diameter, e.g. 3 inch, 4 inch etc.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Do they quote fixings centres?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

If you got a live one (s)he'd be self-propelling and not nees a loudspeaker ;-)

Reply to
PeterC

Rob Graham wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

And then there are electrical properties.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Eh ???

That had to be looked up to see what the current meaning is !!! That's the trouble with being ancient (grandchildren definition!)

Rob

Reply to
Rob Graham

Only on detailed technical specs

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

almost all small ones are 4 ohms

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Never afair. Typically, there'd be four screw holes around the rim which seemed to conform to whatever unnamed standard was in use (if you replaced an existing 3 inch speaker with another 3 inch unit of any make, it would simply work as a "drop-in-replacement" with no need to fettle the fixings).

Reply to
Johnny B Good

TBH, that just suggests you've simply led a sheltered or unadventurous life these past two decades. :-)

I'm also ancient enough to be blessed with grandchildren but my reaction to that transexual reference was in the nature of a groan at a very bad pun (a one out of ten for effort :-).

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Typically 8 or 4 ohm voice coils (8 ohms being the more prevalent standard for the "Tranny Radios" of the day). A simple ohms measurement (assuming the VC hasn't been damaged so badly as to have short circuited turns) will reveal the VC impedance (e.g. 7.5 to 7.8 ohms for an "8 Ohm drive unit").

Reply to
Johnny B Good

more 6 ohms fir an 8 ohms niminal

Reply to