Loss of Power Alarm

I want to fit a 'loss of power alarm' to my freezer but am unable to find a supplier. I know they are not that difficult to cobble together but prefer to buy a device.

Is anyone aware of a supplier for such a device. I would think they would be comon place but it doesn't appear to be the case.

I've tried Maplins but there doesn't seem to be anything shoiwn on their online catalogue.

Reply to
Edward W. Thompson

They tend to work on raised temperature, rather than loss of power, but Google seems to find hundreds, e.g

Andy Burns

The ideal would be both. Loss of power tells you the freezer has got so many hours to go before you're in trouble, and raised temperature tells you that you are in trouble (even if the power's still there).

open too long... (Didn't think of fridge/freezer door open too long in my home automation alarm, but neither has it happened yet;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Our freezer is in the utility room, and the kids used to have a habit of just throwing dirty socks into the room...in the general direction of the washing machine. Then they'd go to the freezer, get a sock caught in the door and not notice....

I fitted a temperature alarm, set rather low so the it would go off pretty quickly.

Reply to
Bob Eager

alarm' not a door opening alarm or temperature alarm. For some peculiar reason I can't find what I want on Google or any other search site. The alarm of the Maplin site seems expensive and I can't access details of it. Perhaps a trip to the store is required :-).

The circuit diagrams of a suitable alarm is available on Google, perhaps it is time to get out the soldering iron!

Reply to
Edward W. Thompson

I don't know these days, but years ago you could buy a plug with a loss of power alarm built in and you simply replaced the freezer plug with it. A quick google shows a number of plug in devices (mainly American) for putting in the adjacent socket, but not the actual freezer one - my parents used to have one of the wire on ones years ago and it was very useful, as many things were plugged into the adjacent socket in the garage and on a number of occasions the wrong socket was switched off!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

There are plenty around but prices seem to start at about £50 so warming up the soldering iron seems to be the best solution. A very simple one can be made from a DC PSU (old phone chargers are ideal as they are quite efficient switched mode units) holding a relay on with a battery and buzzer connected to the relay normally closed contacts.

Reply to
Peter Parry