Loose Kitchen Tap

Fitted a new kitchen tap at the weekend. The type with a base that goes into a single hole in the sink with a nut on the underside. But it came with a rubber washer to go between the nut and the sink and however much I tighten it there is some give and the tap has a tendency to lean when touched. I can't see the point of a rubber washer and was wondering if there was any reason why I should not replace it with a nylon one to try to give a bit more stability.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

Monobloc mixers usually come with a horseshoe shaped metal plate & a matching rubber washer. Have yiu got the metal plate? You should have this lot

The Medway Handyman

Are you sure the rubber washer does not go on top of sink?

Reply to
F Murtz

Well, there are no assembly instruction but there is a groove on the underside of the tap body and a matching O Ring which I assume goes on the top of the sink to form a waterproof seal. Then there is a wide thread probably about 30mm which goes through the sink and a rubber washer and a nut which I have assumed goes on the underside.

I stand to be corrected on any of this since, as I say, there are no instructions.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

Nope. Nothing like that. The tap is one of these:

is a rubber O ring underneath where it sits on the sink. There is a 30mm odd diameter threaded brass tube that screws into the underside of the tap and then goes through the hole in the sink. Then a similar sized rubber washer with a brass nut on top. Two 10mm tap tails screw into the underside of the tap body and connect to the water supply.

As I tighten the nut the rubber washer compresses and stops the tap rotating in the hole but there is enough give to make the tap wobble a bit when turned on or off.

I have thought about replacing the rubber washer with a similar sized nylon one but given nylon's slipperiness I am not sure that that would not make it easier to rotate the tap, thus replacing one problem with another.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

Sure it's not "give" in the sink top allowing the tap to wobble?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There is a little give in the sink but not as much as the tap moves. If that makes sense.

Reply to
Andrew May

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Andrew May saying something like:

These monoblock types are notoriously wobbly if the sink is a bit on the thin side. You can fit a load-spreading washer underneath if clearance allows.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

> There is a rubber O ring underneath where it sits on the sink. There

Never seen the like - thank heavens. Who designs this stuff?

Reckon it needs a metal plate between the sink & the washer/nut.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman