Loose fill insulation

Has anyone used loose fill insulation before? I have a difficult area to insulate and am wondering if it will do the job.

Here is a diagram and description of the problem space. It is marked as 'X'. It is bounded above by laths (but no plaster). It is bounded below by plaster formed onto curves. It is bounded on one edge by wooden fascia and by the roof with breathable membrane sarking and slates.

\\ boards->_____\\ joist-># # \\ \|

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Have you considered hiring the gear to blow in Warmcell insulation (fireproofed recycled newspaper)?

Reply to
dom

We have recycled newspaper insulation. It may or may not be Warmcell, it's

25 years old'ish so perhaps not, though I can't think it can be very different. Anyway it is vile horrible grotty stuff, it's powdery, dusty, blows around the loft and where holes in the ceiling have been made, for example for conduit for Ethernet cables it comes down and clogs the every thing up. I hate it, I wish it was loose fill rockwool or even fibreglass which I hate as well because it itches so much. S
Reply to
Sogg

Yes, I've seen warmcell used as insulation between open joists in roof spaces - not very suitable. But for modern strucutral insulated panel construction with a seperate cable void where it's closed up long term, it can simply be blown in and sealed up. Might also be suitable for the OP's problem - but I do agree with you, it's not fun if it's not properly enclosed.

Reply to
dom

We've used vermiculite - surprisingly cheap - to good effect in very odd places.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Might be a little bit expensive, but whet about expanding foam?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have visions of the slates pinging off, shortly followed by an exploding canoe! ;-)

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Loose vermiculite sounds an interesting solution. I can't think of another granular insulation that's so fireproof (so anything polstyrene based is out).

Reply to
dom

the slats will allow it to expand upwards..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Certainly, a quick look at it looks promising. It looks very loose fill, which will be what I need for this application.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I can't forget that story either!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

If you're anywhere near Leeds we have more than half a bag left, it's yours for the taking.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Unfortunately, I'm nowhere near, but thanks for the offer!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Spouse keeps telling me I should use it in my compost but I always forget. I would like to lose it somehow! He bought it to use to fill the gap between bricks and stone in the bread oven. Not necessary but he's a belt, braces and buttons man.

The bread oven will have its first firing this weekend, I hope.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Is it the same stuff you can put into flower beds to retain water and become more water efficient?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Supposed to be. But I suspect that's an expensive way to buy it. Go to a builder's merchant.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Of course, I was just suggesting a use for your spare bag.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Ah - I don't have flower beds :-)

But I do make compost for my vegetable plots. You're doing a Spouse!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

the trouble with the expanding stuff is that it sets solid and then continues to expand, with force, so escape orifi dont prevent damage.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I read that story recently with all the laughter that I expect you all got from it - having been there successfully when a relative nipper and building your own fibreglass canoe was pretty new. I seem to remember the instructions included putting the bow/stern in a bucket of cold water when pouring the stuff in.

Additional blocks of polystyrene were recommended for the first serious trip I made in that boat and I fitted them the day after a job-leaving drinking session - I think by then everything moveable had left my body but my head did not like the concept of being upsidedown poking around in dark places one little bit !

Rob

Reply to
robgraham