Loose 5 point door lock - an easy fix?

Hi everyone,

I have Google'd this NG for an answer to my problem, but nothing was aparent.

Rightie-ho, we have a uPVC front door with a standard 5 point mortice lock. Lately the handle was difficult to move, mainly on the inside of the door, but lately this has been *very* temperamental to move to allow us to open the door. We have a similar problem with the outside handle but not as severe. I'm worried that one day it simply won't operate at all and we'll be stuck outside.

Typically, the company we used to fit the door a few years back have recently gone out of business - after going for 18 years, so hardly a flash in the pan company.

Now, are these relatively simple things whereby a numptie like me could unscrew the handle on the inside and see what's come loose - as I suspect has happened - or is it not worth mucking about with, and just call a Locksmith to sort it?

Many thanks in advance.

-- Dave Jennings

Reply to
Dave Jennings

Try some aerosol white grease or similar. spray liberally into every opening where there is a moving part. Removing a handle can be a good way at getting some lube in.

Reply to
John

If lubriaction in all moving aprts (including the bolts which expand all round the door) then are there some screws in the side of the door near the lock? Are they loose or have they moved?

Try loosening them slightly, and jiggling the handle + lock a bit then re-tighten.

Phil

Reply to
Phil B

Sounds like your lock is knackered, a locksmith will identify it & get a replacement, your cylinder won't need replacing.

Reply to
Scabbydug

Is this when you are locking the door, or just opening/closing it?

Also, what happens if you work the mechanism with the door hanging open (ie, when the bits aren't engaging with the door frame)? Are tye symptoms the same, or do they go away?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Yes, there are two on the handle inside the door . They're both tight.

Will do, ta.

-- Dave Jennings

Reply to
Dave Jennings

The same. I assume with my luck that means the entire thing is FUBAR, requiring a total house rebuild. At least, that's the way it's been so far this week, and it's only Tuesday!

-- Dave Jennings

Reply to
Dave Jennings