Loop-in Lighting (sigh)

Yes I should have marked the switch cable with some insulating tape rather than going 'I'll remember which one it is'.

Bedroom 1 - all ok.

Bedroom 2 - new ceiling rose installed. Switch operates normally, light goes on and off.

Bedroom 3 - switch operates normally, but when light comes on it's rather dim. It doesn't require other lights to be on.

All lives (red) are wired together, as are all the earths.

2 neutrals (black) are wired to the neutral block on the new ceiling rose

1 switch live (black) wired to the live in the new ceiling rose.

I presume I've wired the wrong black to the live in the ceiling rose but would appreciate any thoughts - even the ones that say I'm a numpty for not marking the cables.

Reply to
WRabbit

be of some help to you.

Reply to
Aaron

"WRabbit" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

Sounds more like a faulty switch, light fitting or switch line cable.

Reply to
Richard Polhill

Should be on its own terminal with 2 screws, one for this wire, one where you will attach the brown wire in the drop cable to the bulb.

Dave

Reply to
dave stanton

Sounds more like a high resistance connection somewhere... (or a short to a poor TT earth). Have you checked for broken wire ends, or screws on the insulation rather than the wire?

As in three? (live in, out, and too switch).

plus one side of the pendant?

Usually the return from the switch, wired to the other side fo the pendant.

OK, "you are a numpty for not marking the cables!" (feel any better? nope, thought not ;-)

Time to disconnect all the wires (sans power obviously), stick a multimeter across live and neutral on each cable in turn (ohms range), and flick the switch each time. That will soon work out which is the switch wire.

Reply to
John Rumm

Hadn't actually seen the problem when I'd made my first post (had just had the phone call moaning about the dim light).

Discovered the reason the light was dim - Bedroom 3's switch was turning on both Bedroom 2 and 3's lights. So I'd managed to connect them up in series.

Swapped what I'd thought was the switch live for one of the 'neutrals' and all is now ok. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Reply to
WRabbit

Easy to check - even if you can't see which reds and blacks are TW&E 'pairs'.

Switch off at the mains and check which pair shorts when the switch is on and open circuits with it off using a DVM.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)