Looking for small, surface mount (as in mount on a surface, not SMD) switches

That's them, thanks! I should have thought ot Rapid. But I note they are apparently obsolescent. and they are not going to restock them.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I remember those. Metal body and toggle connected to one side of the supply. Maybe safe on low volts in terms of electrocution - but could be a fire risk if no fuse and a high current supply.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

En el artículo , Chris Green escribió:

Put the screw in, glue the switch to the surface. Hot melt glue is perfect for this. The switches are available in black or white and dirt cheap - ~80p from CPC.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In message , Roger Hayter writes

I bought half a dozen recently, via eBay, but with the original dark tops. Problem with eBay is trying to second guess the description.

Reply to
Graeme

They probably don't have an RoHS tick on the paperwork ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Yes, they're the ones I have been using. I guess I can do as you say, I just don't like making things I can't take apart. :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

All well protected by MCBs, 6A I think.

Reply to
Chris Green

The supply is a 12 volt battery, this is on a boat.

Reply to
Chris Green

No mains voltage around. These switches are quite widely available and might be the answer to my problem though they are a bit less than elegant. I'm thinking the 'rocker switch mounted in a lump of wood' solution may look somewhat better.

Reply to
Chris Green

But this is where we came in, these are 'surface mount' in the sense of SMD. You can't just stick them on a sheet of wood and use them, they're not intended for 'visible, domestic' use.

Reply to
Chris Green

NO children then?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , Chris Green escribió:

Hot melt glue peels off pretty easily - it tends to come off in one lot, like silicone sealant. I don't think you would have any problem getting access to the innards of the switch if you needed to.

The dolly switch linked to by other posters took me waaaay back. I remember them for having a peculiarly "crunchy" action.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Push switches as used in light fittings are very compact. They can be screwed down.

Reply to
Capitol

Table lamp switches?

Adrian Caspersz

One thing you may have to watch using switches designed for toys is whether they will reliably handle any breaking any loads on DC , it doesn't take too many operations for an arc to damage small contacts or even weld them together. And you have the corrosion problems cause by a boat being near damp conditions as well. Though it is well known that putting the word Marine on anything instantly means it doubles or triples in price sometimes you do need something designed for a task, nothing as frustrating as a switch not working when you need it. perhaps you need to visit or peruse some chandlers or at least use something from the automotive industry. On cheap switches even if the contacts are non ferrous a rusted steel spring can mess up operation.

As an aside I lived on a ship for some years and the tumbler switchers were designed for DC use with fairly substantial contacts with a spring that sprung them open with some force, houses with DC mains would have them as well. Some photos of a similar model a little way down this page.

Our circuits were 220V DC though. The sockets were round pin 5amp type and despite the dymo tape warning that they were DC a succession of distressed people damaging their radios, shavers etc meant I stuck some plastic rawlplugs in the holes to stop them being used.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

En el artículo , Mike Tomlinson escribió:

Damn. UNLIKE silicone sealant. Insufficent caffeine.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Chris Green has brought this to us :

I agree, but you could mount them in some sort of enclosure or even in a suitable recess of your wood. Much better to my mind, than the ancient clunky looking dolls house switches.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yes, but they're 37 and 39.

Reply to
Chris Green

Yes, that's probably the way to go, or anyway some sort of 'not too sticky' glue.

Reply to
Chris Green

What about these?

A single round hole to drill and rated 240v 6amp.

I have around 24 of these in use in my caravan, as it came from the manufacturer, switching DC 12v.

You can get the identical switch much cheaper direct from China as a batch, I bought a batch of 12x for around £3 delivered.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield