Looking for replacement (Imperial) manhole cover (S.E.London area)

Greetings,

Can anyone in this NG tell me where, preferably in the S.E.London (Bromley) area, I might obtain a new manhole cover to replace a cast iron one that has cracked due to vehicles passing over it?

The dimensions of the (cracked) manhole cover, excluding its frame, are

650mm x 497mm (about 25.5 inches x 19.5 inches).

To prevent problems in the future I'd like to replace it with one made of something more robust than cast iron, but I can't find a supplier who can offer ANY replacement cover to the above dimensions, let alone one made of a more durable material. All new manhole covers seem to be made to metric dimensions which means that both cover AND frame will need replacing, which makes for a much more complicated job.

Any constructive suggestions will be most gratefully received.

TIA - Dave.

Reply to
David Chapman

I went through this process some years ago; a complete waste of time, with hindsight.

There were no standard sizes and the covers seem to have been sand cast in small foundries. Grouting in a new frame isn't a difficult job. Just buy a new pressed steel job and resign yourself to installing a new frame as well.

Reply to
Onetap

Unfortunately it's like plumbing (and many other construction disciplines)... Nothing old matches with anything new ;-) You'd probably eventually find a replacement lid but it will be an original and could take you weeks/months to source.

Reply to
Dean Heighington

BTW, forgot.

The old ones were made of grey cast iron which had lots of slag inclusions and is very brittle, as you've found. That (grey c.i.) was the only cast iron until the ductile cast iron sort was invented around 1950ish. Most small covers now are made of pressed, welded and galvanized steel, which is much stronger. Ductile cast irom covers are seen in road works but are much more expensive. Get a welded steel tray type. The ones with inset paving are less likely to get pikied.

Reply to
Onetap

Can't you cut one in 5mm steel plate and weld a couple of angle irons on the underside as bracing pieces?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I made this one which seems to work quite well. It's a little bit smaller than yours. Cut out of sheet steel, with angle steel welded underneath. Painted with some amazing paint that seems to be unavailable now.

Matty F

I had one which was cracked.

Bought a pressed steel one to replace it, but I didn't like the way it went poing/ping when you stepped on/off it, so took it back and swapped it for a 7.5 tonne cast iron one, even though it's only a foot passage.

And yes, you have to swap the cover and frame together. You can't buy covers to fit in old frames.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Many thanks to those who took the time to reply to my posting and make useful suggestions. Your contributions are much appreciated.

ATB - Dave.

Reply to
David Chapman