Looking for new cordless combi drill

Was looking before but never got anything at the time then been working away, narrowed it down to two I think!

Originally was looking at one on Lawson HIS, the Makita 8280DWPLE 4.4v Compact Combi Drill which comes with 2 x 14.4v 1.3Ah NiCad Batteries, Charger and Carry Case along with free 102pc drill andscrewdriver set and makita torch for =A3110, see link below :

Screwfix seem to be doing something similar, the Makita 18V Combi Drill 8390DWPE, which comes with the same as above minus the torch.

?id=3D49006&ts=3D49174Torch aside is the 18v the best one to go for, I notice Lawson HIS are doing one similar Makita - 8390DWAE which is =A3145 but comes with 2.0Ah batteries, is it worth the extra, I'm not what you would call a tradesman, just do little bits here and there (welll try to!)

What does all the different Makita model numbers stand for 8390DWPE,

8390DWAE, whats is the signifigance if the P and A.

Thanks

Reply to
Gogs

I wouldn't be that much influenced by the drill and screwdriver set (you can get specific items you need separately and better quality) or the torch (do you really need a torch like this?

The number and capacity of batteries are important for availability of the tool for use and it is relatively expensive to get more or larger ones (compared with the goody bits above). It's infuriating if one is trying to get a job done and has to wait for batteries to charge.

I have a Makita 14.4v model (earlier one) for which I have 3x 14.4v batteries of 1.3Ah. This can be comfortably used continuously for hole drilling and screw driving. It would just do this with two batteries for lighter holes and work, but for heavier, three are needed for comfort.

I also have an 18v model (different one to this) which came with 2x NiMH batteries of 2Ah. That will also go continuously on these. I doubt if it would on two 1.3Ah batteries, assuming heavier work.

The other thing that I would look at is do you need the extra power of the 18v model? They are heavier of course, and will cover more of a range of activities, but the 14.4v ones will do a great deal as well at less weight. If you want to use it all day on a job that might be a factor.

Another strategy would be to get a 14.4v model and then a mains SDS for heavier work.

If you are going to go for the 18v model, I would certainly opt for the

2Ah batteries and skip the goody bits.
Reply to
Andy Hall

The good bits are inlcuded both from Screwfix and Lawson HIS, only difference being a torch can be had from HIS and no its certinally not essential, I would probably continue to use my maglite anyway.

I was just wondering which one would be best and the 18v one at =A3100 seems better value than the 14,4v at =A3110 even though it has a torch.

So on that front its all about voltage, as for purchasing the one with

2=2E0Ah batteries there seems to be a price hike and my budget is only around the =A3100 mark so it would need to be between one of the above.

I was just worried that maybe Makita have made an 18v one for Screwfix which is actually a budget one and not the same quality of the 14.4v.

Seem to recall reading on here that a Makita 14.4v would be better than a 24v Bosch green

Reply to
Gogs

I wouldn't wory too much about the quality if the shop is respectable. I bought a B&Q 18 V one for less than a ton, a month or so back then found a market trader selling reconditioned ones for =A320.

So far I haven't used it. The new one has been a real pleasure and I use it every day for work. Two batteries is plenty but for power, weight and longetivity, a cable drill is a third of the price, or less and you don't need to wait for a charger. Lidl sell long extension leads (with an halogen light too) fairly cheap. Get a circuit breaker though.

You'd be silly to waste hard earned cash getting a battery drill for occasional use.

I had a fake Makita until recently. That did everything I asked fitting doors and the like but metal fatigue got it in the end.

The batteries are still good if anyone wants them.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer