Looking for electronic method to automatically fill bath to set depth/temperature.

OK, lazy I know but I am looking for some kind of electronic tap technology that will automatically fill the bath o a prescribed depth and temperature.

To be super slick I would like it to have a web interface so I can fill the bath from the office and have it ready when we get home.

Does such a technology exist from any suppliers?

Reply to
Jo

Almost certainly this technology exists in Japan. When I lived there 10 years ago, I could set the temperature and one of three depths for my bath, it would run it, beep when it was ready and heaters in the skin of the bath kept it at temperature set for the duration. It had a roll over top to insulate it if you weren't going to hop in immediately.

Not as wasteful as you think, the Japanese tend to have wet rooms and use the soap outside of the bath, rinse themselves before getting into the clean water to soak. The whole family can share a bath that way. They view soap in the bath water as a bad thing!

Colin

Colin

Reply to
Colin M

you could do it yourself by connecting 2 solenoid valves (12 volt 10 bar water valves from RS) inline with supply pipes to a thermostatic mixer that's left always on at the correct temperature. With no power, they remain closed, so leave on for manual use. Then work out "time on" for "bath depth". Program a mains digital timer switch connected to a 12 volt transformer for control. Or get a pc controlled power switch (x10?) for solenoid control, internet control is probably supported.

Reply to
Haam S lo

In article , Jo writes

Never come across even a locally controlled version, never mind a web interface. Maybe the Japanese might have something, after that power toilet someone was describing the other day, I'd believe anything.

Wouldn't it mean that some internet joker could refill your bath with cold water while you were in it? Or remotely flood your house?

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

Why not upgrade your hot water system so it can be filled in 2 minutes, so this isn't necessary? It might be possible to do cheaply, depending on what you have already.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Hmm, yes. But I would maybe have the world's first password protected bath!

Reply to
Jo

I am pretty sure you can find the stuff in stockists of equipment for the disabled.

Failing that, I would want a real level sensor, rather than relying on the open times of the valve. You can get a tiny level sensor that could be fitted beneath the over flow. All do-able. The web bit would be fun !

But would you want your bath run on Windows ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

The "Trevi" shower/bath control from Ideal Standard does some of this. It does the time/temperature/depth, but not the web/remote interface. We have one and it cost £400+ which sounds quite a bit, but if you add up how much a decent thermostatic shower control & pair of expensive bath-taps would cost, you're half-way there.

Reply to
Tony Mudd

It's surprising and frightening to discover how much stuff in inappropriate environments does run on Windows.

For example, I was recently in the baggage claim hall of a major airport watching on a monitor above a belt for my flight to appear. The belt was running and with the residual luggage of a previous flight.

A large mouse cursor suddenly appeared in the middle of the screen and then floated off to the right.

Then in an instant, there was a Blue Screen of Death message, the belt screeched to a halt and several bags were tipped onto the floor. Now I know why there is a yellow line about 1.5m from the belt which people are supposed to stand behind........

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Cue the...If your OS was an airline....

If Windows was an airline, you'd drive up to the brightly decorated terminal, with clear signs showing you exactly where to go today. You'd be whisked into your gleaming hypersonic transporter, and would zoom up the runway seconds later.

Then the plane would explode, killing everyone on board. The FAA would shrug its shoulders and say "I wonder if it'll do that again"

Incidentally, there are now several single chip webserver systems that will do exactly, control wise, what Jo wants. "Iready" rings a bell.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

guess it is the one you mean but it doesn't mention its use for a bath?

Reply to
Jo

Try...

Colin Wilson

Yes, that's the one. It does say 3 models, and shower/bath control. The control itself isn't able to select bath or shower, it just behaves differently i.e. select bath and it stops after a certain time (depending on desired depth) whereas the shower just keeps going. The difference between the models is the "preset" buttons, and behaviour (ours has 2 shower, 2 bath, hot & cold buttons on the preset side). The selection of where the water goes is done using a manual diverter valve switching between shower head or bath spout.

does look smaller and I don't know what the prices are. This picture near the bottom of this page shows a bath spout similar to the one we have.

Tony.

Reply to
Tony Mudd