Looking for decent qulity Kitchen unit with American Black Walnut finsih - Are they all the same?

Hi all,

We have recently renovated our lower ground level (not exactly a complete basement as it leads out to ground level) of our terraced house. This has taken a LOT of time and money but we hope that it will be worth it for the use we will get out of it. Part of this area (approx 10m=B2) will be devoted to a kitchen and so we have been looking to getting some quality units and doors.

We have a very nice Limestone floor (very pale white's, grey's and linen colours) and as this are is south facing it has actually worked out to be a very light room. So we were looking at a real dark wood finish for the kitchen units, possibly American Black Walnut or a very Dark Oak in a shaker style.

We currently have a kitchen in another part of the house which is a 5 year old MFI/Schreiber Valencia kitchen and although we may reuse the units, I was not completely impressed with the quality of these with their flimsy hardboard backs, dodgy speckled white interiors, add-on end panels to complete the look and now old style non soft close door and draws. Even if we did reuse these units I would also need to buy more units anyhow as the new kitchen area is a different size and shape.

So I started looking into various kitchen places locally and on the internet. After a bit of research it seems to me that a lot of these kitchen places are simply resellers for a few manufacturers as the marketing blurb is always similar if not identical. Of those I liked, they seemed to revolve around Second Nature kitchens (specifically

and Burbidge kitchens (specifically
.Another style we have seen that we liked was a Dark Oak from Moben (specifically
but at their quote of =A311,000 I don't think this will happen! I also saw some nice doors here but these are now getting expensive
.Most carcase units appear to be very similar made from 18mm melamine faced chipboard but I want something that will match the doors. Does anyone have any suggestions or good units with soft close hinges and sliders? What about real wood carcases? Are these worthwhile looking into and does anyone have any experience with such units. I have also though about making my own and getting some use out of the router as they seem to be of a of a fairly simple construction.

Any more ideas would be gratefully received.=20

Chris

Reply to
swinster

Well after looking around it seems as though the Burbridge kitchens seem to give the best all round design and quality for what we are after. I have looked high and low for companies that will be able to suppliy Dark Oak but have turned up with nothing, so the Black Walnut looks as though it could be the one.

If have seen a couple of DIY places that sell these kitchens an wondered if anyone has had anyone has had experience of these.

(although these guys wont deliver to us so I would have to arange for pickup.)
(although thier cacase contruction only seems to be cam and dowel.)

make true wood veneered carcases which would look good but I haven't heard back on costs yet.

I haven't found much out about real wood units either.

Reply to
swinster