Looking for an electrical product: help appreciated

I'm sure I've come across a surface-mounted channel system into which mains sockets can be inserted at any point, with blanking plates filling in the intermediate spaces; the wiring was built in to the strip itself. But I've searched in places like Screwfix and TLC (and office suppliers - I think it was an office rather than an industrial product) without success.

I tried Googling for "power strip" but that seems to be the new name for what I would call a multi-socket extension - when did that happen? The product I'm thinking of comes in much longer lengths, to be run across the entire width of a room.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Many thanks.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

ARWadsworth

Wasn't Bert talking about surface mount trunking (sorry if that's the wrong term) that sockets, etc, can be mounted in. The wiring runs inside the trunking. I've seen this in labs, computer rooms, etc., and always fancied installing it in my garage.

Reply to
Huge

Crap photo, but this sort of thing;

Huge

I don't have the TLC catalogue to hand, but they stock 2 brands/3 styles - one of which was on discount.

Reply to
dom

Dado Trunking?

ARWadsworth

Dave Plowman (News)

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

As Hugh says, not cheap

ARWadsworth

The system I was remembering had elements of that, and of the one Adam linked to (I don't recall the moveable-sockets facility in the one I saw). I suppose there could be several variants available commercially.

Thanks for the reply, and the picture.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

That's very close indeed to my memory, and may well be the exact system. Thanks.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

No indeed. I've just come back from a search for the prices myself. I'll investigate the TLC systems.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

sockets.

Reply to
PeterC

Frighteningly expensive stuff. It's possibly useful of you need an easily reconfigurable office space, but otherwise just pull cable. Even the trunking where the sockets fit onto the trunking is expensive, compared to the cost of basic boxes and conduit.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yes, I think I've decided that simple trunking and standard surface boxes is the best way to go. Thanks to you and everyone else for the thoughts and advice.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules