Looking for a small toilet

Hi,

The problem I have a small bathroom (103cm wide by 255cm long) There is a high level cistern with a standard WC bowl at the bottom. See

for a picture of the whole bathroom. The WC bowl extends 68cm into the room which means you have to squeeze by to get in and out of the shower at the end - not very nice. When you sit on the bog you can rest your head on the opposite wall easily (occasionally handy, but not a major selling point for a the flat).

Does anyone know where I can find a shorter WC that will give me more space to pass?

I have tried Ideal Standard, Armitage Shanks, Plumbworld, Bathroom.com, and Bathroom Heaven, but not managed to find anything less than 64cm long.

More detail

- The soil pipe comes out the floor with its centre 14cm from the wall.

- I think the current WC has a P trap with an adaptor to fit it to the floor

- The other side of the wall is my bedroom so I can't really put the cistern in there.

- I would like to keep a high level cistern if possible

- I live in Guildford, Surrey, but would travel a long way (or pay a lot of postage) to get the right WC pan.

Many Thanks Calum

Reply to
Calum

with a standard WC bowl at the bottom.

bowl extends 68cm into the room which

nice. When you sit on the bog you

selling point for a the flat).

That is a rather small toilet. (I see no evidence of it being a bathroom)

If it was me, I'd consider rotating the toilet 90 degrees, so it's pointing away from the shower, might it work?

With a cabinet of some sort behind it. Might a very small sink fit between it and the shower?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

with a standard WC bowl at the bottom.

bowl extends 68cm into the room which

nice. When you sit on the bog you

major selling point for a the flat).

Hi Ian, You're right, there's no bath (and certainly no space for one). A 90° turn of the current toilet bowl is an interesting idea. Having measured this just now, I have found it would involve moving the soil pipe exit further into the room. That's a bigger job than I would contemplate.

I can see where you're going with the smaller basin too - the one there is a monster for the size of room.

Reply to
Calum

with a standard WC bowl at the bottom.

bowl extends 68cm into the room which

very nice. When you sit on the bog you

major selling point for a the flat).

current toilet bowl is an interesting

pipe exit further into the room.

Oh well. Hmm.

If you raised the floor some 6", to almost a level with the shower then might a z-bend on the end of the toilet output be an option? Again, a larger job.

If you used matching or contrasting blue tiles, replaced the basin with a smaller wall-mounted one, changed the wallpaper to something that matched a bit better, enlarged the mirror, and changed the lights for a couple of halogen spots on the ceiling, and glued the radiator onto the wall, it might look a lot more spacious, as well as working better.

Having a bathroom that doesn't look like you have to be a contortionist to get to the shower would probably add value to the flat.

Copper finished bits would tone in quite well with the existing shower and window.

Then again, it's not my room, and my bath is avacado and plastic, with a cracked side.

Having the toilet at 45 degrees might technically work, and improve access, but would look odd.

monster for the size of room.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Noticed in Homebase the other day they had a cistern designed to be installed into a corner with the loo projecting at a 45 degree angle from the wall. The cistern (oddly) actually had a more acute angle than

90 degrees - so you could install it into a 75 degree "corner" IYSWIM.
Reply to
John Rumm

Ideal Standard do a range called "Space" which is designed for under-stair cupboards, etc. Might find something there.

Cheers Clive

Reply to
Clive Summerfield

cistern with a standard WC bowl at the bottom.

WC bowl extends 68cm into the room which

very nice. When you sit on the bog you

major selling point for a the flat).

current toilet bowl is an interesting

soil pipe exit further into the room.

monster for the size of room.

Yes, changing the decor is high on the priority list. I've already stripped the wallpaper to reveal a bumpy moonscape of original wall plus patches and lumps and bumps from a hundred years of "improvements". Spot lights on the ceiling are a good idea.... I wonder if I can take up the floorboards of the flat upstairs...

But back to the toilet - 45 degrees is going to look mighty odd I'm afraid.

Reply to
Calum

Hi Clive, Yes, they fit into corners or are narrow, but all of them appear to be quite deep from front to back :(

Reply to
Calum

cistern with a standard WC bowl at the bottom.

The WC bowl extends 68cm into the room which

not very nice. When you sit on the bog you

not a major selling point for a the flat).

and Bathroom Heaven, but not managed to find

this is the killer, while there are potentially shorter toilets, e.g. wall mounted pans, you are not going to get anything that can be connected up to the soil pipe in this location.

As above I don't think the cistern location should be a problem. The Ideal Standard Space range is about the best bet that I can see.... 63cm to the front according to dimension at Plumbworld.

cheers

David

Reply to
David

monster for the size of room.

It might be easier to just route out a channel in the plasterboard of the ceiling and attatch the lights to that.

Just to annoy you, I went to measure my toilet. From the back of the soil pipe to the front of the bowl is 53cm...

There is no marking on it other than "Armitige Shanks", and it can't be newer than around 1984 or so.

What is the floor like?

Moving the soil stack would seem to be an option that might simplify things. Even if you did find a shorter toilet, I don't think you'll find shorter than 53cm or so, and even that will significantly obstruct.

If you could either move it back, so that the toilet goes closer to the wall, or forward a bit, so you could mount the toilet at 90 degrees...

Otherwise, you could always remove it, fit a bigger outlet, macerator and pump to the shower :)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

monster for the size of room.

Aw! 53cm - that's an extra 15cm of space which would make all the difference (40% more room to get by!!). Did that have a P or an S fitting to the drain?

My floor is a standard wood construction I think. Certainly lets the sound through from the flat below. Perhaps when I replace the carpet I'll take a look under the floorboards to see how the pipes go.

If I were spending the rest of my life in this small flat I might consider the 90 degree option, but for now I'll continue my search... Cheers

Reply to
Calum

Forgive me, I am not up on toilet nomenclature :)

At the bottom of the bowl there is a pipe formed from the bowl, which goes horizontally, then rises up at 45 degrees or so, until a 135 degree bend, going down vertically.

Soon to be a major motion picture. An epic adventure to rival the search for the holy grail.

The quest for the shorter toilet!

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Groan...!