Looking for a reasonably priced fireplace hearth

I've bought a cast iron fireplace and wooden surround off Ebay and now need to find a hearth so I can fit the whole thing. The fireplace will be mainly ornamental but may get lit once or twice a year. I'm looking for a black slate hearth 130cm by 45cm (51" by 18" in old money) , probably 1" thick. Any ideas where I can get this at a reasonable price? I live in West London but have an estate car and am willing to travel a reasonable distance to get something at a sensible price. Thanks.

Reply to
jgkgolf

hours drive down towards Portsmouth, but we just got ours made to measure for £261 - black riven slate that meets all the regs for a real fireplace. We're placing a cast iron multifuel burner on it, so it is shaped to go back into the fireplace opening as well, so a little larger than you would need. Anyway, the price was calculated on the dimensions so just give them a call. The slate is 20mm thick, but has a 30mm thick lower surrounding slate edge (so total depth is 50mm) and then inside filled with concrete.

We had quotes of over £400 from other places...

Reply to
Humpty Dumpty

=A3261 , thats =A361 more than I paid for the rest of the fireplace! I think I'll have to keep an eye on Ebay for a secondhand one.

Reply to
jgkgolf