Looking for a moulding

I want to restore the front door on my new house, which at some point had its external mouldings ripped off and plywood slapped on top. However I can't find anywhere that sells the bolection moulding with the right dimensions. Judging from the paint markings on the door, the moulding needs to cover about 1 inch of the recessed panel, the depth of which is about 2/3". Does anyone know a UK source which might sell such a moulding? Or will it probably be necessary to build up something from two or more mouldings?

Here's a diagram, to be viewed in a monospaced font, showing depth A (2/3") and coverage distance B (1"), with the rough profile of the required moulding marked with x's:

xxx xxxxxxx ========|xxxxxxx ^|xxxxxxxxx A|xxxxxxxxxxxxx v|xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ========================--- < B >

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Reply to
misteruncalledfor

See a joiner and get a few meters run up.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sorry but that doesn't do it for me .Any chance of posting a pic somewhere . I know of a place near Glasgow but that might not be practical for you .

Reply to
Stuart

Dado rail.

Reply to
SirBenjamin

Its whats known as a raised panel moulding.

Reply to
SirBenjamin

Here's a hopefully clearer image:

the outer profile of the moulding is just roughed in - it's an illustration of the dimensions that matter for fitting the moulding on the door. Glasgow would be doable. I dont suppose they have a website showing available mouldings? :-)

Re: the other suggestion of getting some custom made - neighbours doors could be used as a template, but I'm concerned that it might be a bit expensive to go down that route.

An alternative would be to form the moulding from two pieces (see red line on diagram). Might be easier to do and give more flexibility in choosing profiles to combine.

Reply to
misteruncalledfor

(I though that was brilliant bit of ASCII-art actually!)

Why does the moulding have to be that specific profile? I've restored several doors in the past which have been "Barrybucknellised" like yours in the past; I've just used whatever moulding I could obtain and that looked good.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Thanks :)

There's no exact profile I'm after - whatever looks good, but I would like a projecting moulding that extends out a bit onto the door stiles/rails (called a bolection moulding I believe). Just because that's what was there before and it looks a bit more solid than an inset moulding, IMO.

I might end up applying an inset moulding that's flush with the door stile/rail, and then cap the join with another moulding. Achieves the same ultimate effect, but with a bit more hassle.

It's interesting to see how the detailing in my new house varies according to how visible it is to 'the public', so cornicing is fanciest in the sitting room - where the door has bolection mouldings, and elsewhere the cornicing gets less ornate, and doors get inset mouldings. Victorians were clearly a bunch of cheapskates interested in spending as little as possible to project an image of wealth. :)

Reply to
misteruncalledfor

Here is a pic of the profile of the moulding I used .

's 37mm x 20mm with a bit that overhangs ( the red part) that is 5mm wide . The bit below the red part is about 12mm deep The company is Express Timber Products of Abercorn Street,Paisley .Tel 0141

848 0102 . I don't think they have a website . As I said in an e-mail if you want a sample of this particular moulding posted to you let me know . cheers Stuart .
Reply to
Stuart

Victorians were clearly a bunch of cheapskates interested in

cheers Jacob

Reply to
normanwisdom

Thanks Stuart, but in this case the rebate depth (12mm) would be too shallow for it to be suitable by itself. Perhaps it could be packed out underneath to raise it to the full 2/3 inch or so. I did already find a bolection/raised panel moulding at 'Build Center' but the dimensions were not right.

Reply to
misteruncalledfor

LOL, I'm afraid I'll have to take your first answer. :-)

Anyway, I was wanting to know if anyone knew of a source of such a moulding with the specified dimensions. Cheers.

Reply to
misteruncalledfor

Nowadays we're just cheapskates, I guess.

Reply to
misteruncalledfor

A suitable thickess piece of timber would do the job I'm sure . How many mm do you mean by 2/3rd inch ?

Stuart

OK, I've certainly seen that stuff (projection moulding?) around, but can't recall exactly where... I'd have guessed at simply somewhere like B&Q or Wickes, but presumably you've tried them?

Have you looked at the Richard Burbridge range? Might be worth a phone call:

David

Reply to
Lobster

All the major merchants do their own range of mouldings. Travis Perkins etc. Depends who's in your area

Reply to
Stuart Noble

That was the closest imperial measurement to the mm measurement that I made. Since it's Victorian the original moulding would have been in inches. After perusing the internets it looks like it might be 11/16" as that is a measurement which crops up in moulding dimensions. Alternatively it could be 3/4" and I've not measured it accurately! It's looking like an off-the-shelf solution is probably not available, but building up from more than one piece is more 'interesting' anyway, so no worries. The moulding I found at Build Center (sic) has a rebate of 12mm depth. Get 4mm stripwood... buy router table... increase rebate depth... put nice edge on stripwood... This option has the benefit of making me buy a router table.

Reply to
misteruncalledfor

Either they didnt stock any such moulding, or they did, but with the wrong dimensions, IIRC.

Thanks, I'll try that - it would be useful if they had an online brochure of their range.

Reply to
misteruncalledfor

Many thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. It seems that the possible answers are:

1) Keep looking at retailers for a moulding with the right dimensions 2) Build something up from 2+ pieces, maybe with some modifications. 3) Get a joiner to run up a custom-made batch of moulding 4) "Dado Rail"
Reply to
misteruncalledfor

The best solution for this would be to take a sample or a dimensioned drawing to a joinery firm and ask them to run the section for you on a spindle moulder.

For a short run like this, tooling could be made for £20-30 to work with a universal cutter block

Look at

an example. A joinery firm should have the blocks already and will be able to have knives made quite easily from a sample of the profile or the drawing.

Reply to
Andy Hall