Looking for a decent footpump

I've gone through three footpumps in the last few years, a couple of cheap blue Argos £10 ones and an RAC branded orange one that cost a bit more an d at first seemed a bit better.

They all seem to fall apart after relatively little use - the welds break a nd they just generally seem very flimsy.

Anyone got experience of a better quality footpump I could try for pumping up car and bike tyres?

Reply to
Murmansk

I can offer one thing to avoid and that's a screw-on connector. They're a bloody nightmare.

Reply to
Andy Cap

Nope. Bought an electric one for the car. A track pump is much better for bikes. These are brilliant quality for the money.

Will pump car tyres too although really too slow fro that job.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Yes, I've come to the conclusion that a track pump would be better, so I've ordered the one you linked to.

Ta very much

Reply to
Murmansk

You won't regret it. It's astonishingly well made for so little money. Fits presta and Schrader valves without needing any adjustments.

Reply to
Tim+

I picked up a "vintage" model several years ago, proper heavy duty frame etc.

Reply to
Robert

I remmeber ronnie Barker asking ronnie corbet for a foot pump in the 4 candles sketch.

Is that the sort you want.

Reply to
whisky-dave

My late FIL had a conventional foot-pump which was built like a tank, but it eventually died irreparably. As others have said, modern ones are rubbish. I have a Draper "track pump" which is just about OK up to car sized, no good for 3.5 ton van tyres, for which I now use an electric pump.

I've recently got one of these, which is a very versatile piece of kit

I mainly use the battery to power CCTV, but I have jump started with it and the pump is OK, being a bit bigger than the toy ones sometimes found in petrol stations etc. It can also charge phones and power a laptop.

Reply to
newshound

I use one on my car, and for trailer tyres in inaccessible places. Only a Halfrauds cheapy, but seems fine so far.

I had a leak last year, and it coped with that every day until I could get the wheel fixed.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Just add that I bought a more powerful electric pump because the usual 12V tyre pumps wouldn't blow up the camper tyres fully.

B000W08QZY

£75 but worth every penny - much faster than the standard pumps. You have to run it directly off the battery, not the cigar socket.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

p blue Argos £10 ones and an RAC branded orange one that cost a bit more and at first seemed a bit better.

and they just generally seem very flimsy.

g up car and bike tyres?

I also found they all trend to fall apart. Eventually I bought a Heyner fo ot pump and it has survived well.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

I've still got the cheap footpump that I bought when I got my first car some

35 years ago. Admittedly I don't use it that often for pumping up car tyres, but I use it a lot for pumping up my bike tyres since garages don't let you use their pumps. It still works fine apart from one of the return springs having broken, so I sometimes need to lift the pedal up again. But that's a long way from having failed welds or a broken piston or non-return valve which would make it U/S.
Reply to
NY