Looking for #2: Simple wall mounted timer switch

I am also looking for something like this product:

sold in the UK of course (that is a US site).

I can't find anything like this... there are some timers around but they are much more complicated.

Any recommendations?

Thanks again

Reply to
Dave

delay switch?

Not quite the same though

Reply to
FGoogle

What range of times do you require?

The vacuum ones will do up to 10 mins:

John Rumm

There's this:

this:

mick

Do you actually need the ability to user-set the runback time? If a pre-set time period is acceptable then Elkay do a range, 16A, including

spuorgelgoog

The message

from snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com contains these words:

the pneumatic ones, which have a very limited timing range with any degree of reliablility, are not at all reliable in terms of longevity. Expensive and unreliable. But I haven't found a less-bad answer to the problem of a 20 minute timing requirement.

Reply to
Appin

How about a shorter time?

The house I'm in now had an external push delay switch to light the garden floods when coming in from the garage (at the far end of the garden, and round a corner).

The switch has died and the rubber seal over the top has perished (probably linked...) so I want to replace it. I can't easily use a PIR as it would need to cover a narrow path over a distance, and be sensitive to people walking directly towards or away from it, which they generally aren't.

I found a direct replacement (basically an indoor hydraulic switch with a rubber cover and seal for the switch->surface box join in the 'exterior fitting' kit) but that was almost £40 (!)

Any other ideas for a simple exterior push-on, delay-off switch with a couple of minutes delay that can handle maybe 1000W of mains lighting?

Reply to
PCPaul

The message from PCPaul contains these words:

My experience is that the pneumatic ones are much more reliable than the electronic ones. The Elkay models of the old Columbus time delay switch (Elkay 400) are OK in the middle of their setting range (around

5 minutes) and have a shroud available, but with the shroud you'll probably end up paying around £30.

Why does the switch need to be OUTSIDE the garage?

And if it does have to be OUTSIDE, why don't you build a waterproof housing for it -- simple box with a lift-up cover with magnetic flap to hold it closed?

Reply to
Appin

Because the lights are for the path from the back gate to the house, which runs alongside the garage. You don't need to open the garage to be using the path...

I could do but even getting a small plastic universal box and adding flap, hinge, catch etc. to it will add up to the cost of the weatherproofing kit bit.

It just seems like even the cheapest PIRs have a time delay switch built in, so it's odd that there's no cheap outdoor proof switch (or even touch switch - no mechanicals) with the same electronics in. Maybe I should just build one... I'd do it with a 555 and a relay but stepping the mains down to something useful in that application isn't cheap either.

Reply to
PCPaul