Long term glass cleaner/coating - no access to window

We live in an upside down house - lounge is upstairs. In one wall of the lounge we have 4ftx4ft double glazed window. Below this window is the conservatory. The window doesn't open, and our window cleaner refuses to go near it, in case he damages the conservatory roof.

We are currently having UPVC soffits/facias, etc fitted and have scaffolding all around the house, which means that I can clean the outside of the window safely.

Is there some product that would ensure a long lasting clean for this window as it gets a lot of rain on it and quickly looks very dirty. Would Rain-X work (the stuff you use on car windscreens to bead the water away?)

The scaffolding is up until at least Friday so I've time to research but any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Steve Bilton

"Steve Bilton" wrote

If you are happy with the job they are doing on soffits, fascias etc and they have experience of window fitting, why not get them to replace the fixed window with one that has a "reversible" glazing panel. Then you can clean the window on both sides and maybe have some access for cleaning the conservatory roof (with long pole through window).

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

We did ask, and got a price of about =A31k, which on top of the job they are currently doing put it beyond us at the moment.

Thanks anyway.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Bilton

Another option is a water lance from gound level. Simple & cheap. I used to DIY them from pipe offcuts, took a minute or so.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Steve Bilton wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

We have an identical situation.

Our window cleaner leans a ladder against the conservatory and uses a long handled washing "thingy" then a long handled squeegee thing to clean the water off. He does a superb job!

Terry W.

Reply to
Terry W.

One way of doing it if you have the knack. Or you could use a window cleaner who has a water fed pole system.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

zaax

Reply to
Anita Palley

Rather than replace the whole window, you could just replace the glass - don't Pilkingtons do a self cleaning glass? I seem to think it has a factory applied coating that reacts with dirt in sunlight and allows the dirt to just wash off next time it rains. You'd be pushing it to get a gazing unit made up before Friday though!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Another optimist :) Go see the factories fitted with self clean glass, they get filthy.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

It may not be brilliant, but if cleaning's a problem, it's got to be better than nothing...

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker