Long Masonry Drill Bits

Page 2 of 2

A decent tool shop will have 'special' bits which have a thread on them on to which goes an extension - or as many as you want. The bit can also be used without the extension(s). The extensions are the same size for a number of larger bits. I think they're more like 12mm, though.
They used to be in the sheds, but haven't seen them for a while - although I wouldn't be looking since I've gone SDS.
--
*In "Casablanca", Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam" *

Screwfix do a range of SDS drills 1 metre long in that sort of size - it is perfectly feasable to saw off the SDS bit and fit it in a standard chuck as the drill shank is relatively soft, however I would strongly recommend Screwfix's FERM 29.99 rotostop sds drill - I bought one as a stop gap for chiseling, but find it is remarkably solid for the money (and guaranteed for 3 years !!!)
Andrew Mawson

What I have is a Rawlplug Durium Rotary Masonary Drill bit which has a screw thread. This attaches to a Rawlplug Durium/Vibroto Extension Sleeve which is 23cm long, Catalogue No 83-502. I have two of these.
I can add as many extensions sleeves as I like as each extension sleeve has both a male and female end. Works with my normal B&D hammer drill. Purchased in the mid 70s.
Michael Chare
John Rumm wrote:

Given that no-one here knows what "SDS" indicates, I should say most terminology used by the "experts" seems vague!
J.B.

I remember someone here giving chapter and verse on what the initials stand for in German. A Google search should soon find it if you're really interested. IIRC, it refers to the keyless bit change idea rather than the hammer action - I have a Bosch jigsaw also labelled SDS. So Special Drill System it ain't.
--
*I don't have a solution, but I admire your problem. *

Slot Drive System