Long Masonry Drill Bits

Page 1 of 2
Good Evening all!
I am after a long masonry (about 8mm) drill bit.
The longer the better!
The longest on I currently have is 400mm, and that's too short...
I don't have an SDS drill, just a "normal" hammer type
Any idea where I could get longer bits?
1,000mm would be nice, just in case!!
Sparks...
(It's for running an alarm cable through)

OK, on the Screwfix site, I have found this http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts 523&id364 http://tinyurl.com/3e8rs
It is a 1000mm 10mm SDS Plus bit
Although it is SDS, will it still fit in a normal chuck designed for standard round drill bits?
(Like a drill that takes these?
http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/15/15246_l.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/2mldm )
Thanks!!
Sparks...
Sparks scribbled :

No it won't fit in a standard chuck, for starters it wont centre so you will end up with a drilling circle of about 300mm by the time you get to the end with the wobble! Pick up a cheap SDS drill, you won't regret it if you drill masonary often.
--
Gary
Please remove #NOSPAM# if replying via email

will
end
often.
OK, is there an adaptor that can be bought to change a normal drill into SDS Plus?
Sparks...

SDS
Nope, SDS is a totally different principal to a "hammer" drill. Google the group and you'll find 101 threads about SDS and how it works etc. All I can say is a bought a semi-decent Bosch SDS drill a year ago and everyone I know has borrowed it! It puts holes in stone, concrete etc like butter and with chisel attachments it has lifted light tarmac and put a hole through a 30" wall, took a bit of time ;-)
There is no way I'd contemplate a hole more than a few inches deep in stonework without SDS. Hire the kit for the first job, prob. cost about 30, then buy if you think you have a use long term.
Tony

can
know
30,
Ok, thanks for the advise!
I take it an SDS Plus drill bit is not going to fit into an SDS drill such as http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item#70793470
Sparks...

the
with
30"
SDS plus should fit this fine, its SDS MAX that is the "big boys" stuff. But quite frankly a 22 quick SDS drill? stick a "0" on that and its more like it. I bought mine for about 180 in a deal at Jewsons, you can pay less or a lot more depending on what you want and how much use it will get.
For a a 1 metre deep hole you prob. need to look at SDS max so I'd ring Hewdon or HSS first before buying anything. A SDS Max with a 1m core drill could cost many, many hundreds to buy.

But
It won't be a meter long (Well I hope not!!
The stuff I am drilling seems to be pretty soft My Bosh cordless 12v hammer drill went in 400mm like butter!
I think it is sandstone, but am not too sure
Sparks...

Just found a place down the road that has 300mm (normal) bits with a threaded end and the extension bits, it however fails to mention the length of the extension!!
Will go down there tomorrow and see if it will do!
Thanks for all the suggestions!
Sparks...

length
...and just found this on TLC too!! http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/FX101000.html
Will go there tomorrow!!
Sparks...

I have one like the above and it is perfectly serviceable. I don't suppose it will last as long or be as good as the pro ones at 10 times the price, but are they 10 times better? I doubt it. It makes holes.
--
Niall

Grr, shame I didn't bid on it before it was too late!
What is the difference between SDS and SDS Plus anyway? If they all fit into the same drills, why the two types?
Sparks...

get yourself down to Woolworths - they sell that drill for 29.99
"Chris Oates" <none> wrote in message

Really!! - Will pop down the road tomorrow then!
How about this one? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&categoryP208&item#71252982 http://tinyurl.com/2t3dy
Sparks...

times
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&categoryP208&item#71252982
all these 650-850W SDS rotostop drills are the same drill the Woolies one has those attachments + a chuck to take standard drills + spare motor brushes + 5 year gntee

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&categoryP208&item#71252982
OK, is that just pretty much any Woolworths, or only really huge ones!
Sparks...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&categoryP208&item#71252982
Mine is a tiny one, Woolies that is.

times
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&categoryP208&item#71252982
This is pretty much the same drill that has been offered by B&Q, homebase and Argos all for around about 30, For occasional use I would say that its OK, the only drawback being that IIRC it weighs in at 5kg, which you will soon feel if you are using it a lot.
Its a little ironic that the e-bay offerings will probably work out more expensive once the P&P for this thing is added in :-)
cheers
David
Sparks wrote:

SDS Plus seems to indicate drills that can do rotation stop (i.e. hammer only) - but the terminology seems a bit vague between manufacturers!
--
Cheers,

John.

You can hire lomg drill bits