Logitec Keyboard

In Dec '07, I bought a Logitec wireless keyboard and mouse from CPC for just over 30 quid inc VAT. Fairly unusual these days in that it was PS2 which I need for this machine. It does have a primitive USB setup - but this only seems to work with either mouse or keyboard - not both - and I wished to share via a KVM? switch with my PC. And most of the lettering has worn off the keys. Unfortunately my touch typing is poor. Older keyboards were invariably engraved but this one only printed. I've contacted CPC and they say the warranty is only for one year. Any thoughts on a DIY fix?

It only gets moderate domestic use. I'd have thought in an office it wouldn't have lasted a year.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Try a Brother P-Touch. Thoroughly clean the keys, round off the corners of the label, attach.

Reply to
S Viemeister

That problem sounds as if it might have more to do with the PC than the keyboard. FWIW I also have a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse and they both work fine via USB.

A lot depends on the individual user. My wife liked my keyboard so much I bought one the same for her PC. Over the years much of the lettering has worn off her keyboard, like yours. But my keyboard, which is used a lot more than hers, still looks as good as new.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

This machine is an Acorn and I don't think USB had been invented when it was new. I did later get a UBS card, but the range of drivers is extremely limited. Only really for a basic mouse, and card reader, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I know what you mean. You just can't tell when you buy them, I have had cheap keyboards that have not shown any legend-fade after a considerable time, and expensive ones that start fading after a few months. You begin to wonder if it's beyond the 'wit of man' etc.

Maybe they should use the same technique as Blackpool rock :-)

Reply to
Graham.

Can you not use a die grinder, or even the little =A31 versions of them, to engrave the keys?

NT

Reply to
NT

Get a new one.

I've got a logitech PS/2 'Internet' keybored that I bought 2 months ago.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think the One True Keyboard [1] pretty much did.

Quite a few places sell stick-on key transfers for the hard of seeing.

Owain

[1] IBM Model M
Reply to
Owain

You could try Letraset transfers. They are sheets to sticky letters and fairly tough. They only cost a little so worth a try.

Reply to
EricP

Some do, its called double shot moulding, laser engraved other long lasting key marking system. Cherry used to make the very nicest keyboards.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

No. IBM, then Compaq, then Apple. In that order.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I'm typing on my Model M at the mo (23 years old now) - absolutely love it. Plus it's heavy enough that I can use it as a weapon should anyone break into the house ;-)

J.

Reply to
Jules

Thanks for the suggestions but then I thought I'd just get a new one. Looked on Ebay but no luck. Then went out shopping and passed a PC world - and guess what, they had a PS2 one. Got it home only to discover it hasn't got a scroll lock key. And pressing that twice plus an arrow key is how you switch the KVM...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Jul 7, 9:15=A0pm, Adam Aglionby wrote: [...]

I agree. You can still get some very decent double-shot moulded Cherrry keyboards; they have a shop on eBay for end of lines etc.. A chap called IIRC Robin Bithrey from Cherry runs it. I'm typing this on a very decent slightly shrunk Cherry keyboard (they bring the numeric keypad in and move the cursor block down) which cost me under a tenner including postage from him.

have an IBM buckling spring K/B in the garage and I prefer this one to it. If I could get a K/B like my old Cherry AT with gold crosspoint switches I'd be even happier. Unfortunately I chucked it when PS/2 came along, not realising that adapters could be made/had ;-(.

J^n

Reply to
jkn

Indeed, the colour coded wires for AT and PS2 were very easily resoldered onto the labelled PCB for permanent cable and plug swaps. The extra pin on PS2 is not connected anyway.

Reply to
Part timer

I am sure this is to do with the crap the put on their hands, I see it all the time at work!

Reply to
Toby

Tesco do one with a PS2 plug (+ a usb adaptor) and scroll lock key, £3.99 i think it was

-
Reply to
Mark

Wireless with optical wireless mouse?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Are you sure it wasn't a USB plug and a PS2 to USB adapter?

Incidentally, those adaptors won't magically adapt any USB KB into a PS2 one. The keyboard itself has to support both modes.

Reply to
Graham.

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

Could you swap the keycaps over, new to old? They usually pop off with a little gentle levering.

Reply to
fred