Loft space ventilation for these hot summer days

Hi,
as usual it is like a sauna in the loft.
There is a ventilator grille on one gable end, but I guess in ventilation terms this is the sound of one hand clapping.
Any reason I shouldn't put a 'hit and miss' ventilator in the other gable end to encourage a free flow of air along the head of the 'T' shaped loft space?
The plan is to leave it open in summer to get a flow of cooling air through, and shut it in the winter to keep any daytime heat in.
If I was feeling fancy I guess I could even put an extractor fan coupled to a thermostat - although half the time it might be blowing agaist the wind and not achieving much.
Plan 43A involves roof vents and greenhouse type auto vents; however life if probably too short :-)
Cheers Dave R

Hi Dave
I thought it was impossible to have too much ventilation in a roof above the insulation. In Winter you want to blow out any warm moisture laden that goes through the insulation before it has a chance to condense on the wood work in the loft.
in the perfect world ( i.e. not my house) you should have eve vents as well as the vents in the gable
cheers
ian

If the heat has got into the loft it's pretty much wasted anyway.....
I can see no problem with what you propose, but I think it will make no great difference to the temp inside the loft. The area of ventilation will just be too small.
--
Chris French, Leeds