Loft space ventilation for these hot summer days

Hi,

as usual it is like a sauna in the loft.

There is a ventilator grille on one gable end, but I guess in ventilation terms this is the sound of one hand clapping.

Any reason I shouldn't put a 'hit and miss' ventilator in the other gable end to encourage a free flow of air along the head of the 'T' shaped loft space?

The plan is to leave it open in summer to get a flow of cooling air through, and shut it in the winter to keep any daytime heat in.

If I was feeling fancy I guess I could even put an extractor fan coupled to a thermostat - although half the time it might be blowing agaist the wind and not achieving much.

Plan 43A involves roof vents and greenhouse type auto vents; however life if probably too short :-)

Cheers Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

Hi Dave

I thought it was impossible to have too much ventilation in a roof above the insulation. In Winter you want to blow out any warm moisture laden that goes through the insulation before it has a chance to condense on the wood work in the loft.

in the perfect world ( i.e. not my house) you should have eve vents as well as the vents in the gable

cheers

ian

Reply to
Ian Tracey

In message , David W.E. Roberts writes

If the heat has got into the loft it's pretty much wasted anyway.....

I can see no problem with what you propose, but I think it will make no great difference to the temp inside the loft. The area of ventilation will just be too small.

Reply to
chris French