Loft leaks

Good morning,

I have a bathroom which is in the roof of my house where the waste pipe leads into the attic. The house is 5 years old and last month I noticed light leaking into the floor below (ground floor). It seems the sealant has failed at a join. Is it reasonable to expect to reseal this pipe without taking it out? There is no visible hole (there is only about an inch or so space between the bottom of the pipe and the attic floor).

I'm no expert in the realms of plumbing but feel that this could be dealt with myself.

Any help would be much appreciated.

S.

Reply to
Kaplan

I don't know what kind of pipe you have. It could be either glued in or push fit.

If it is push fit, there may be enough play in the pipes to dissasemble it to check the seal. Sometimes when the pipe is pushed in, the rubber O ring is pushed out of place, causing a leak. A much better fix than a bulging lump of duct tape.

If it was glued, the bad joint may be cut out and a new section of pipe inserted with 2 straight connectors (glue or push fit).

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith (UK)

Could you clarify a bit... so is the bathroom in the attic? Does it's waste pipe travel down through the ceiling to the ground floor? And the pipe is dry above the attic floor and wet below it? Is that right?!

If so, you need to find the point where it's leaking; pull up the floorboards or bathpanel or whatever to find the joint or hole. What sort of pipework is it? Are there knurled rings around the joints which you can unscrew (easy), or are the joints stuck or welded together?

David

Reply to
Lobster