loft ladders

Hi All

Am planning to install loft ladders. What's the minimum size of the frame in the roof. We've got a Barret's house (I know!) where the hatch appears to be quite small and am worried about whether loft ladders are practicle.

Many thnx

Reply to
MattP

You need to visit the DIY stores and read the packaging. Different loft ladders fit different size hatches. 3 section ladders tend to need a wider aperture than 2 section, etc.

You also have to take into account that when the loft ladder is folded up into the roof space it will require 3-4 feet of horizontal space within the roof. You have to plan for this - it might mean that the ladder won't fit on the side of the loft hatch that you were hoping for.

PoP

PoP

I recently fitted a loft ladder and there are three basic choices as far as I can tell:

  1. Ladder slides up and back - you need space behind the hatch. Not sure what size hatch you need but guess reasonable small might work if you have the space for the ladder to slide into (on the floor of the loft)
  2. If there is no space behind hatch, then you can get timber ladders that collapse into the space of the hatch. However, these require the hatch extending lengthways.
  3. Aluminium concertina type - this fit in almost no space at all and work with pretty small openings

I had to go for #3 as I wasn't able to extend the hatch space for option #2

Price goes upwards :-)

Cheers, Rob.

Reply to
Rob Nicholson

The one I just fitted - screwfix's cheapest is about 800x600mm aperture, and needs about 1.2meters behond the lip in the loft to fold back into.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've just checked the aperture and it's only 560mmx540mm!!

It sounds like a bit of extending!

Reply to
MattP

Let me check mine...you wil get teh screwfix ladder in allright, but there won;t be room for you to get up it I'd say.

Mine looks like about 800 x540

Not too much.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hi Matt see >

This appears to be within 10mm of your available size - maybe take the plastic bungs off the ends of the ladder? JF

Reply to
JF