Loft Ladder advice

Need to fit a loft ladder at son's place

trap is about 30" long 24" wide and would be difficult to extend lengthways

I have found this site and am looking at the 3 section ladder

comments appreciated

Reply to
TMC

In article , TMC writes

on real info but the pics might help eg the backs of rivets showing suggest that it has locking on both sides, obviously only one handrail but then it is 20quid cheaper and how many can you use when carrying stuff up?

Reply to
fred

I've got that one..though I paid more elsewhere. Its perfectly serviceable.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I presume that the trap orientation allows plenty of space for the ladder to slide into?

I can't do anything with mine, since the landing is perpendicular to the roof trusses. Even if I went to the trouble of extending the trap by a bit of serious woodwork, I think the trusses would still be in the way.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Yes it does

Reply to
TMC

I've got two loft ladders - one in the house and one in the garage. The one in the house is brilliant and the one in the garage is awful. It was only after I had bought the second (garage) one that I realised that all loft ladders are not made equal!

The principal difference is this:

The good one has a short top section, hinged to the joist at the end of the hole. When parked, it sits horizontally just above trap door. The other two sections are longer, and slide on the short one and on each other. When parked, they overlap the short one, so as to sit partly over the trap door and also to extend forwards into the roof space. In the operating position, the ladder extends just from the top of the joist down to the floor - so that you can step straight off it into the roof-space with no restrictions.

The awful one has three more or less equal length sections (the bottom section is slightly longer than the others, but not much). The top section, instead of being hinged, has a sliding pivot on the joist, and there is a pivot arm connected to the top and also to the floor of the loft. In the operating position, the top section extends up into the roof space - making it much more difficult to climb off[1] - and the pivot arm generally gets in the way of moving things about.

I fear that the one you cite is similar to my 'awful' one. If so, avoid like the plague!

Whatever one you buy, find out how much headroom it takes when being folded away, and make sure that you've got enough.

[1] In both cases, I've got low-pitched roofs, and can't stand up in either attic. It might not be quite so bad if you've got lots of headroom.
Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks for this what make is your good one?

Reply to
TMC

Lidl have got one on Thursday, look see if that would do.

Reply to
Moonraker

I have had one of those concertina ones for many years now and had no issues. Sure helps with the limited room issues.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

We got the Telesteps Compact Spring Telescopic Loft Ladder from here:

it's absolutely brilliant for just this very thing.

Reply to
Dave Smith

Don't think so. Do you mean Aldi?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Whoops, I did indeed, I get emails from both, and am easily confused!

Reply to
Moonraker

Sorry, dunno! I've had it for the best part of 30 years, and have long since lost the destructions. There's the remnants of a label on it, but nothing readable, sadly.

I'm pretty sure that the useless one came from Screwfix.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Yep had a look at the site and went away

Anyone that has a site that advertises prices so wrongly does not deserve my business

Mind you I am the sort of person who is frequently put off buying a product due solely to the awful advertising

And it has been a bad day

Regards

Reply to
TMC

I didn't look at the price or the way it was presented. IIRC we paid about £130 at the time (couple of years ago) and thought it worthwhile of a recommendation. Do with it what you will.

Reply to
Dave Smith

Sorry as I said it was a bad day and my comments were purely a comment on the pricing as shown on the screen which showed for example a a ladder type as priced from £9.00 because the detailed price list when displayed shasd an optional hand rail priced at £9.00 in the list

The products on the site were worth looking at and the recommendation is appreciated

Reply to
TMC

We went through the process of wondering whether to get a "proper" loft ladder, and instead got a telescopic ladder to live in one of the rooms upstairs instead. Plus points were it was cheaper and didn't need us to do anything to make the access hatch bigger etc. Also it is multipurpose, so we can use it for other things. Down side is we do have to store it somewhere other than the loft (but we have a handy cranny to stick it in, so not a difficulty for us).

Just an alternative solution...

Matt

Reply to
larkim

How rigid is it when in use? It must take good engineering to stop it feeling disconcertingly bouncy.

I have an elderly pair of steps which can be used either in "A" frame conventional mode, or by undoing a link opens up and locks as a straight ladder. Besides all the DIY uses, it is great for the loft - "A" mode to climb up and slide the hatch away, convert to straight and poke it through the hatch to get right up there.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I just fitted a Youngman 3 section ladder ... simple to fit

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I've got that one too, also had it for 30 years :-) It's the one to get.

Agreed.

Reply to
Phil Addison