Loft ladder

In preparing for major decoration and re-carpeting, I've lugged an enormous amount of stuff either into the garage or the loft. I'm now considering whether to make the reverse job a bit easier by fitting a loft ladder. I used to have one at my previous house. This one though is a simple loose hatch (about 72 x 48 cm), which is pushed up and stowed when entry is required, via standard aluminium step-ladders.

Assuming I *can* fit one into the rather cramped space near the hatch, is it a matter of removing the 'supporting strips' underneath the present hatch cover, and fitting hinges plus a spring catch to it please?

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

I think you have got the idea ok. The problem you may have overlooked is the ladder. The usual one is a two part aluminium one that is hinged on one of the hatch boards. The ladder is reduced in length by a half and then pushed up into the roof and then lays flat on the ceiling in the roof. So if you can imagine a vertical of that length sticking up from the hatch into the roof, it must then be able to swing in an arc down onto the roof.

Mine mean I had to enlarge and move the hatch to get the ladder installed.

So, find a ladder, go home and work out if you can install it, go back and buy it, pray hard, install it.

Reply to
EricP

Yes - the loft ladder that I bought came complete with suitable hardware for the hatch.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I got mine from Wickes a few years ago. It extends in 3 sections so takes up less space in the loft. I seem to remember it came with all the bits you need including a handrail and a rotating latch for the hatch cover plus a long rod to turn it with.

Nodge

Reply to
Nodge

have a look at

you will find a link to a Printable Dimensions Sheet which will help.

Reply to
Tony

Thanks for all those helpful replies. I'll also check if my local Homebase or Focus Do-It-All have any of the compact types. The Argos catalogues's single offering requires around a metre of free space, which rules that out.

I found that Ladderstore site last night. Had me drooling for the electrically operated version. Only £1,249.00! In fact the entire range is attractive, but pretty expensive.

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

Our local B&Q have one on "special" at the minute, 54.99 -- 3-section, iirc.

John

Reply to
John

Thanks. That's about the same as the HomeBase 3-section type I saw this morning. Unfortunately, snags in my case are that not only is the hatch small (72 x 48 cm), but the ladder will have to point along that

*shorter* dimension. IOW, that 48/50cm is the 'length', using the terminology of the various models I've seen. And apart from the limitation that places on my choices, it means that access becomes even more restricted than it is at present, when the ladder occupies some of that smallish rectangle. I *could* turn this into a major project, enlarging the hole and trying my hand at some carpentry. But that wasn't really what I originally had in mind!
Reply to
Terry Pinnell

how about this?

make a ladder from 1.5x2.5 planed and 3" screws, cost £8. Now cut it into say 3 pieces, fitting long meaty hinges like so: _ | | | | |_|| | ||

Reply to
N. Thornton

Think I'd hinge both sides and rebate the rungs/steps into the sides a bit. You don't want a rung to fail and you end up sliding all the way down breaking each succesive rung as you heavyly land on it.

If you look at a timber ladder you find every third or so rung has a

1/8" dia wire underneath it this is to stop the run away effect if a rung breaks.

It is an interesting idea though. The ceiling below our loft hatch is the best part of 10' this is out of reach for most commercial loft ladders.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I cant work out what you mean there. I did however notice the diagram came out scrambled - lets try again

Well, here's what I was thinking. If you use 2x 3" screws on each side of each rung youve got protection against screw failure. The rungs on this design are of 2.5 x 1.5 wood, which is way thicker than traditional wood ladders. It is important to reject any wood with a crack in it. I thought those 2 features would be enough to cover it, but I gues it would take some load tests to check if it does, and if not, add either metalwork or wood reinforcement triangles under rungs. What do you think?

Right. Commercial ladders are made light though, whereas this design here has 2 to 3 x as much wood in each rung for simplicity and safety margin.

The one bit I would want to load test before being confident is the hinge fixings. Due to lever effects there would be very high forces on hinges and their fixings, and both would have to be very solid. The unhinged version of this has worked very well for me, but I've not used a hinged version. The only downsides being that wood ladders are heavier than ali and not so abuse proof. And must be kept indoors to avoid rot.

Good luck if you try it :)

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Ah you're looking at the side of the ladder I was looking at the face...

I was thinking more of timber failure, screws in end grain don't hold very well and can split out through the face under shear.

Thats why I'd house the ends of the rungs into the sides or screw bits of 1" sq under each one and to the rung.

That didn't worry me but then I was using a different hinge type to you... I think you are using a butt type with long flaps, I'm using a flat hinge, hum donno what you call 'em but two long flat bits of metal that run down each side if the ladder joined where they overlap to pivot.

Well a loft ladder will be inside unless it gets *very* windy. The weight would be a concern, so I'd maybe drop to 3 x 1 for the sides and 2.5 x .75 for the rungs.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

afaik there would be no scrwes gripping end grain on this.

I'm not sure I'd put much faith in a 1" sq bit of wood with a holes in it. But in principle this seems the best option if the ladder fails (over)load tests. Mine passed though.

actually the weight was a non issue with mione, its not heavy at all, just not as featherlight as an ali one.

I dont think Id dare use 3/4" ungraded softwood meself, but if youre adding your rung supports that probably would work ok. Long as its tested.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

How are the rungs attached to the sides? I thought, presumably wrongly, that the screws went through the sides into the ends of the rungs...

Who said anything about ungraded timber? I just chose smaller section. I'd probably go to a timber merchant rather than a shed and explain the use.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

ahh. If you do that its going to be quite weak I think. The load on the screws would try to split the wood.

Here's what I did: the rungs go full width, and sit on the front face of the uprights, like so:

The screws go in from the front to the back, and there are 2 at each join rather than 1 for reliability.

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton