Loft Insulation for Imperial Joist Spacing and Timbers

Hi all

Whilst up in the kitchen loft stripping out old cable, it seems the right time to replace and increase the amount of insulation.

Is insulation still available for 18" joist spacing and 6" deep joists? Looked in B&Q yesterday and on Wickes site today and it all seems to be targeted at metric joist spacing (400 or 600mm) and suitable for 100 deep joists.

Obviously the cross laid stuff can be any width, but I would like to get a good fit between the joists and to the full depth without having to buy generic stuff and cut every length to fit.

Thanks

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

If you buy the long rolls, you can ignore the precut positions and just saw off whatever length you want.

Reply to
John Rumm

Hi John

Do you mean that you have left it rolled then cut the roll to "width" before opening? That sounds like it might work - what saw did you use? Hacksaw blade, large tooth wood saw? No I'm not even going to think angle grinder (doh!).

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

I once *sharpened* the teeth off a bow saw to make a controllable blade for cutting glass fibre rolls. I suppose the same technique would work with an old throw away hand saw.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

yup

Ordinary panel saw - jack saw etc. It does not take much cutting - half a dozen strokes perhaps.

Reply to
John Rumm

A carving knife works well, especially while the glass it is still rolled up. Stab it in then "saw" around, or just stab it all the way around and break the roll at the (new) perforations.

A carving knife also works very well on the firm batts for cavity walls. In this case just draw it across like an overgrown Stanley knife.

Reply to
Andy Webber

That's it, cut them rolled.

The rolls I used recently cut with a scruffy, old hand-saw that I had around. The plastic holding it in a roll had markings for cutting various widths printed on it.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

That's what I did - the joists are at spacings from 14" to 17½" - and having a v. sharp knife is beneficial.

Reply to
PeterC

Thanks to all - I'm primed and ready to go now

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster