Loft insulation?

Hi All,

In our new house the loft floor is very well insulated with lots of layers of fibreglass. Predictably the roofspace is very cold. Should the sloping roof areas themselves also be insulated or is this not necessary?

Thanks, Matthew

Reply to
Matthew

Your loft space is a 'cold loft' .... insulating the sloping roof areas themselves produces a 'warm loft . Normally, if the space is to be uninhabited a 'cold loft' suffices; if it is to be 'habited' a 'warm loft' is a mandatory requirement. In all case, consideration must be given to water services and ventilation in the loft space. There's lots of references to this in the building regs (see ODPM websites) and manufacturers websites (see kingspan for example).

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

| Hi All, | | In our new house the loft floor is very well insulated | with lots of layers of fibreglass. Predictably the roofspace | is very cold. Should the sloping roof areas themselves | also be insulated or is this not necessary?

Roof spaces *should* be well ventilated, so will stay cold, whatever you do. If you have a tank in the roofspace this should be insulated, and have *no* insulation underneath, so that it can get a little heat through the ceiling.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

It's not necessary. The important point is to allow plenty of ventilation for the timbers.

Reply to
Andy Hall

If you are insulating the sloping areas of the loft then try using Rock Wool Slab. This comes in 75mm. and 100mm. thicknesses and can be cut with a Bread knife or similar. As it is a slab it will stay in place between the rafters providing you cut it about a quarter inch oversize to get some friction on the rafters. It is VERY good a reducing sound transfer.

Chris.

Reply to
mcbrien410

NO, you'd end up spending a few hundred on the insulation but wouldn' make that money back in heat saving for an extrememly long tim

-- Fatboise

Reply to
Fatboise

As long as any pipes and tanks are well insulated you don't need to do any more.

Reply to
Rob Morley