loft in-line bathroom fans

I just want a simple bathroom fan, with an extract vent (no light, just vent) in the bathroom ceiling, the fan itself in the loft (less noise hopefully), and the exhaust vent on a soffit (or, because crawl space down the edge of the loft is a challenge in our gently sloping roof, in an external wall).

Has anyone found a Vent Axia kit, or do people buy the parts separately?

If separately, will extract vent, exhaust vent, ducting, in-line fan, and duct tape do the job, or is there something else I need?

Cheers, David.

Reply to
David Robinson

Look at TLC order code BG SF1 (or BG SF2 with run on timer) I installed on a few years back and mounted the fan on London pattern brackets on the gable wall using tap washers to isolate the fan from the brackets. It can hardly be heard in the en-suite below

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

David Robinson wibbled on Thursday 29 July 2010 22:43

I fitted a Solar & Palau in line unit, using a mixture of round solid ducting and a little flexi flat from BES (except the fan).

The fan is very quiet. The vent is not. Partly as I chose a powerful fan to clear a land-locked bathroom quickly. But I used a vent with a grid pattern on the front and I think most of the noise comes from the air going through that. A "mushroom" pattern vent might be better- see those a lot in company loos.

Duct clips to fix it to a joist here and there.

Basically.. I would stick to 4" round plastic or flat plastic rigid as far a you can. Then switch to flexi 2x4" for the last metre over the wall plate. If you make a hole in the soffits to take a brown or white square grille, there's just enough room to put your hand up to retrieve a rope that you pushed over the wall plate from the loft (on a stick if necessary. Tie the end of the rope on the inside around the flexi, making holes in it so the rope goes round the stiffening wires in the end. With a little help from above to hold and guide the flexi (even from a metre or so back is OK) you can pull it over the wall and down the hole in the soffits. Duct tape the inside to the rigid duct, and trim the other end so it's about a foot down from the soffits. Tape the grill on and push in place.

Worked for me, YMMV.

Remember to introduce a slight slope (a la drain pipe type slope) so any condensation can drain - preferably outwards...

You may find this TLC page interesting:

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

harry wibbled on Friday 30 July 2010 07:44

I have an axial fan blowing a gale through 5m of duct, so I feel you may be in error there ;->

Reply to
Tim Watts

In message , Tim Watts writes

Yesh, I had a 100mm axial fan in the loft, venting through probably 3 m or so of duct (out through the roof). worked fine.

Reply to
chris French

Sit fan on rubber or even polystyrene

Reply to