Loft hatch catch sticking

Anyone got a loft catch that works?

I've tried two, they both lasted for about 10 operations, then refused to open or close unless I pushed repeatedly.

Even asked a carpenter, he said "oh they're all like that, just keep pushing".

Also there's a bit of metal supplied with both that doesn't obviously fit anywhere, and isn't in the mounting instructions.

It isn't a spare part as it isn't the same as any part already on it.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

This style work:

ordered mine direct from the mfr, but I can't remember their name ... adastra, or similar? they make loft ladders amongst other things.

It has a rotary action and doesn't rely on bits of bent tin. I, too, got sick of the shoddiness of the ones sold in the sheds.

IIRC mine didn't come with a 'key' - I made one from a bit of stell bracket screwed to the end of a broom handle.

HTH Jon N

Reply to
jkn

> I ordered mine direct from the mfr, but I can't remember their

That sounds a better idea. Although while looking for it on Ebay I came across this which looks good and a nice simple visible mechanism:

as hidden away as yours, but it is shiny :-)

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Yes. Been working flawlessly for a decade or so. As near as dammit to the 80mm Toolstation job

Reply to
stuart noble

A "touch latch"? That's what I've got. It isn't happy. The only thing I can think of is they are fussy about you fitting them EXACTLY lined up straight. Or that spare bit was important.....

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

and a nice simple visible mechanism:

Not as hidden away as yours, but it is shiny :-)

I think I came across those myself at the time ... can't remember why I rejected them. It may be because of the way the outer moulding/ architrave on our ladder is arranged, there would have been a degree of bodging required.

J^n

Reply to
jkn

a nice simple visible mechanism:

> Not as hidden away as yours, but it is shiny :-)

If yours looks remotely like mine, the ladder is nowhere near the catch.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Er, yes it was. It was a template to ensure that, um, you EXACTLY lined up the components straight...

Reply to
Lobster

Which never works as the screws always shift a bit as you put them in if you're as clumsy as me.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Ours just says "AUTO LATCH" and has worked flawlessly for at least 25 years.

Reply to
Reentrant

Gravity holds my loft latches in place, no hinges. Thinking about draught strip and kingspan on top, how to seal against slight draughts?

[g]
Reply to
george ~ dicegeorge

Reply to
george ~ dicegeorge

I'm in my loft every day!

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Exactly as mine is. I've been thinking of small rubber Mini bonnet straps.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon