Loft Electrics

shows that 200mm of loft insulation has a w/mk u-value of 0.040.

> Both pages have this to say:

What is the price? Cellotex has low U value and thin but look at the price.

I would be inclined to look into laying this stuff over the joints (eliminate thermal bridging) and put chipboard over.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

> shows that 200mm of loft insulation has a w/mk u-value of 0.040.

Never thought I'd say this, but you talk much sense, Drivel. I don't think anyone credible has come up with a valid reason for not doing what I propose. The only question is whether 270mm is really necessary, which is academic having spent the money, but I wouldn't mind seeing Ian's revised calculations for curiosity if nothing else.

Mark

Reply to
MarkK

>> shows that 200mm of loft insulation has a w/mk u-value of 0.040.

by all means use the insulation which you have already purchased, but a valid reason is that there's way too much weight in 8 X 2 timbers, hence my suggestion to compress the fibreglass

Reply to
Phil L

Use 1.5mm. Oversize because of being covered in insulation. It is called derating.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

> > shows that 200mm of loft insulation has a w/mk u-value of 0.040.

There is no such thing as too much insulation. Fuel is not going to get cheaper.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

1mm is already oversized in domestic lighting situations.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Tell me about it... We helped BP pump up an extra 70,000 barrels from the North Sea in the last year... did they put the price per barrel down when they sold it?? Did they fu.... _________________________ Grim

Reply to
The Grim Reaper

> shows that 200mm of loft insulation has a w/mk u-value of 0.040.

>>> Both pages have this to say:

I realise your advice was meant for Mark's particular case, however... How could I go about laying insulation over the joists if I'm not putting my second layer of joist at right angles to the first?? As I mentioned before, I'm only planning on adding 2 inches to the height - to work round water pipes (with their foamy insulation thingamybobs). Would the addition of the chipboard over the top of the lot not help with the insulation of the entire area as a whole? ______________________________ The Grimch Reaper

Reply to
The Grim Reaper

>> shows that 200mm of loft insulation has a w/mk u-value of 0.040.

2" in total? I would get 1"x1" baton and counter these to the joists. If a 1" gap then 2"x1" batons Over this put the thick chipboard. I think there is 22mm thick chipboard. Put the 1x1 batons at 200mm centres counter to the joists. Screw the chipboard to the 1x1 batons - well, prob every 6 inches. The batons at 200mm and the thick chipboard will stiffen it up. As it is only for storage and the occasional walking upon, the thick chipboard will be good enough. The gap between the joist and the batons now can hold the 25mm insulation slabs covering the joists. Or foam Kingspan or Cellotex, which is high performance for the thickness - but costs. You only have 6" for insulation so getting high performance insulation is the way.
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I doubt it'll be too heavy - it'll be spread out and form a strong structure. If I detect any flex or ceiling problems I'll strip it all out. I'm more concerned about the weight of the 18mm chipboard flooring than the

8x2...

Compressing the fibre will reduce its insulative properties. It's not the weight of fibre that does the insulating, it's the volume of trapped air. So it doesn't make sense. If it did we'd all be insulating our homes with 10mm solid fibreglass! Anyone know what boats are like in the winter?

Mark

Reply to
MarkK

You could fill the space between the joists with rockwool / fibreglass. Then lay a foil covered PIR foam ridgid board (i.e. the stuff celotex / kingspan is made from - but find another brand for half the price!) over the top and screw your chipboard down through the PIR into the joists.

The ridgid foam is plenty dense enough that it will not crush under the distributed load of the chipboard and anything on it.

Reply to
John Rumm

If you're covering the pipes you won't need the foam insulation on them, but there may be no advantage to removing it. I saved money by not buying pipe insulation for my plumbing in the loft at floor level, as I knew it would be covered by my new floor & insulation.

Yes, although chipboard is not good insulator itself, the fact that you're sealing over the fibre will mean reduced airflow and hence convection, so should help.

I think I get the gist, but what you say isn't 100% clear. I think we need a diagram.

You can get 22mm chipboard, buy 18mm is pretty heavy and surely strong enough. The thicker stuff is for joists that are further apart.

If you really can't add more than 2" why not just fit 2x2 at 90 degrees? 6" is the minimum level recommended by NEF, so you'd have a reasonable level of insulation. See

But why not go for an extra 4" as a compromise and have a total of 8"? You say you're tall, so you must be used to ducking ;-). It's only for storage after all.

Mark

Reply to
MarkK

Counter means at 90 degrees.

22mm chipboard on 1x1 or 2x1 batons will make the floor more rigid.

If he can't go above 2 inches then he is better off buying high performance insulation. He has no option and to do all this work an not improve the insulation value is pretty dumb.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I would check with the makers first.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You will find this is a solution they suggest. It is commonly used for construction of warm deck roofs as well. Some of the insulation manufacturers also make a board which consists of insulation bonded to ply for just this purpose (Tuf R Deck, Temp Check Deck etc). Having said that, the ply they use is usually too thin for construction of a flat roof that will last.

Reply to
John Rumm

The problem is the insulation foam resting on joist 2" thick. I have seen cheap ply run across joist and foam insulation board over then chipboard. A ply-insulation-chipboard sandwich. The ply spreads the load.

This method is the best as thermal bridging is 99% reduced. Only the screws act as a bridge.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It is not a problem in practice. PIR foam is more than rigid enough to support this load. If you place PIR foam on the ground and stand on it, it does not crush - and that is just with a foot sized area.

I built the flat roof on my loft with 80mm PIR foam boards laid directly onto the firrings, and then 18mm WBP ply over that. Even driving 5 1/2" screws through the deck into the firrings/joists, to the point where they were pulled right into the ply there was no noticeable deformation in the foam.

The celotex Tempchek deck product is made like that - although it only has 12mm ply on the top surface. With the thicker board on top there is no need for a board under unless you need it for fixing into (not much of an issue on a floor)

It is also much easier to do than extending the joist heights.

Reply to
John Rumm

Humble pie time - discussed it properly with my structural engineer neighbour. Conclusion is that I do need to span the structural walls and ensure the weight is supported properly by the walls and not the ceiling joists. The good news is that using 8x2 means they'll be strong enough for the span.

Mark

Reply to
MarkK

As I said. Support the 8" joists on the gable ends. Joist hangers are available for this

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

If you are going to the hassle of increasing joist size to that extent, you may as well do the structural calcs to show they meet the requirements for a floor in a habitable room, and do the work on a building notice. Then you have the foundation work for a complete loft conversion in place should you need it later.

Reply to
John Rumm