loft conversion stairs width

Planning loft conversion (loft plus bathroom - prob not quite an "ensuite" !) As usual, space restrictions for stairs. What width of stairs would be practical ? Surely much narrower than a standard narrow doorway (e.g. 28", 700mm) and you would be squeezing up sideways, but loft companies seem to produce stairs not much more than 600mm wide ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

700 - 800mm is probably ideal. Less is ok (although it will depend on your size as to how comfortable that feels). I would say 600mm is about the minimum though, especially if you have plans of getting any furniture in or out!

Something else to keep in mind is that if you place stairs over existing ones, the reduction in head height there can cause problems. I found there were one or two items that were much more difficult getting out of the place after I have built the second set of stairs. Arranging the balustrade such that it can be taken down is well worth doing.

Reply to
John Rumm

The message

from sm_jamieson contains these words:

I don't think there is a statutory minimum width these days but 2 feet is about as narrow as practical and at that width you really need an alternative route for furniture if you don't have a straight flight, and even them some furniture won't fit.

That's what we did in the loft conversion in the ancestral chalet bungalow. A 2 foot wide staircase with a right angle turn near the bottom. The original loft entry (which was a generous size opening) was retained as a coffin hatch.

Reply to
Roger

I do not believe there are minimum widths for stairs. Or minimum heights for *rooms*.

Landings and stairs have minim heights though, and stairs have maxim rise figure.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher