Loft conversion - consumer unit

Hi,

I have been told the electrics in the loft have to be on their own consumer unit. Fine I suppose - except they now say it will be sited on the ground floor next to the existing CU, which has plenty of spare capacity. Is it definitely a requirement for a separate CU? Seems bizarre.

Reply to
Geoff

Have you been told on what specific grounds a new one is required? The only thing I can think of is that there's some something to do with your scenario which maybe you don't even know about which means it might be needed? Can't imagine what though.

David

Reply to
Lobster
[snip]

No, I shall have to enquire with the BCO,

Regards.

Reply to
Geoff

There's no such requirement. What age is the existing CU? Might it be that components for it are no longer available?

Reply to
Andy Wade

Or so the BCO can sign it off under prat P without getting involved with the rest of the wiring.

Reply to
<me9

I don't see how that follows, assuming that the existing circuits on the CU aren't being modified. The EIC can cover the new circuits only (and report any observations made on the old). In any case adequacy of the existing supply, meter tails, earthing and bonding will need to be checked and if necessary upgraded to ensure compliance of the new work. Adding a second CU might also require adding a isolator (switch-disconnector) in order to meet the requirement for a single main switch [460-01-02].

Reply to
Andy Wade

I have never heard this stated as a general case before....

Unless yours is for some reason unacceptable - but that seems odd.

Many loft conversions end up having power taken by extending the existing upstairs circuits (since these are often lightly loaded).

Reply to
John Rumm

Seems different folk, different tales. Spoke to the BCO and he confirmed providing the existing CU has the capacity, there is no such requirement.

As an aside, 2 smoke detectors run on mains power are required and must be on a separate circuit. Can each be taken off a different light circuit or must they be standalone circuits just for the detectors?

Reply to
Geoff

Either - pros and cons of each. It was discussed here very recently actually:

(or )

David

Reply to
Lobster

But, just to be clear, if they are interlinked they *must* both be on the *same* circuit (otherwise the linking would interconnect two circuits, which is forbidden).

Reply to
Andy Wade

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 08:49:56 +0000 someone who may be Geoff wrote this:-

It would help if you stated:-

1) who told you this 2) on what grounds they claimed this

Without this information further speculation is pointless.

Reply to
David Hansen

and if they do not have a battery backup, then the circuit must be dedicated to the alarms and not power any other devices.

Reply to
John Rumm

The OSG (p56) says they must have battery backup and that supply from a local, regularly used lighting circuit is OK. (It goes on to say that they shouldn't be fed via a 30 mA RCD - that'll have to be re-written soon, methinks.)

Reply to
Andy Wade

Which while not exactly conflicting with the building regs (other than the "must have battery backup" bit), only covers one of the options they present.

From B1:

"Power supplies

1.17 The power supply for a smoke alarm system should be derived from the dwelling's mains electricity supply. The mains supply to the smoke alarm(s) should comprise a single independent circuit at the dwellings main distribution board (consumer unit). If the smoke alarm installation does not include a stand-by power supply, no other electrical equipment should be connected to this circuit (apart from a dedicated monitoring device installed to indicate failure of the mains supply to the smoke alarms - see below).

1.18 A smoke alarm, or smoke alarm system, that includes a standby power supply or supplies, can operate during mains failure. It can therefore be connected to a regularly-used local lighting circuit. This has the advantage that the circuit is unlikely to be disconnected for any prolonged period. "

Or insist they must be wired in MICC etc?

Reply to
John Rumm

[snip]

Thanks for all that (which I see is reproduced in the EGBR).

B1-1.20 (2000 version) and the EGBR says that the non-use of an RCD is only "preferable" and that any RCD should not also protect sockets for outdoor portable equipment. All quite sensible and an obvious case for an RCBO in a TT system or in 17th edition land.

B1-1.20 (2006 version) just says that the electrical installation should comply with Approved Doc. P, which is about as vague as it comes. In fact the 2006 version of AD-P refers you back to the 2000 version of B1

- what a mess.

Reply to
Andy Wade

On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 18:31:06 +0000 someone who may be David Hansen wrote this:-

No reply yet. I suspect a troll.

Reply to
David Hansen