Loft boards

Hi I have been looking at the posts regarding boarding out lofts and have a question. I plan to use the chipboard type floorboards to cover 70% of my loft. At the moment the full loft has 100mm insulation and no vapor barrier. if I put the boards down it will compress the insulation slightly (the gap between the ceiling and the top of the wood is around 80mm. The roof has no felt so the cement from the back of the tiles is all over the insulation.

As I am not boarding out the entire loft do I need to put a vapor barrier down?

How do I know weather the insulation needs replacing?

Cheers

K.J

Reply to
Kris

In message , Kris writes

sounds like our loft, the old insulation was covered with the old mortar from when the roof had been retiled.

I didn't bother, I have lifted some of the boards since in the middle of winter and there was no evidence of condensation.

If it looks a bit tatty and a mess I'd replace it.

Actually what I did was lift the old insulation from the area to be boarded, if the insulation in other areas wasn't too bad i left it.

I cleared out all the old mortar from between the joists (the worst part of the job)

I laid new insulation (100mm) under the boards- I use battens to lift the boards a little to avoid squashing the insulation, but it's of probably of doubtful benefit.

I cross laid further insulation over the top of the other insulation in the unboarded bits - I guess about 200-300 mm in total.

Reply to
chris French

Cheers

I will remove the old stuff under the boards and leave the rest. Also I will monitor for effects of condensation (if I remember).

Kris

Reply to
Kris