Loft aerials

Page 1 of 3
We`ve had to have our aerial re-done twice in the last couple of years - and of course, the "warranty" these places offer never seems to be enough to get them back when the picture goes... Either that, or you were never given a receipt / can`t find it etc.
I was thinking about changing tactics and fitting a loft aerial that I can fit / adjust myself, but i`m not sure whether I might need to consider a higher spec aerial than might normally be required if it was mounted outside.
Would the "top of the range" screwfix (ref 14374) @ 25 be overkill for the Liverpool area ? (as far as I know, we have a decent signal here)
Any comments appreciated :-}
-- Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via email * old email address "btiruseless" abandoned due to worm-generated spam * --- My new email address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ;-) ---
Some roof materials block the signal. I tried a VHR aerial in my loft and off a 5 element got worse signal than bits or wire in the house.
I woudl wonder what happens to an aerial in two years. I would expect a new aerial and cable to last 5 years unless serious wind/weather. Bag them under sale of good compalin loudly that goods not fit for purpose if breakdown in that time.
If your signal is very good try a set top aerial. The following link is the nearest transmitter details to liverpool
http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/tv_transmitters/tv_winterhl.shtml
wrote:

Lawrence
usenet at lklyne dt co dt uk

I wasn`t sure how well they worked, hence the question about getting a higher spec model - looking at the orientation of other aerials along the terrace, it would almost be pointing at the brick divider between ours and next doors` too, so i`m not sure how it would work out...
If I pick up a reel of co-ax I suppose I could always mount it at the back of the house - probably wouldn`t look any worse than the redundant satellite dish i`ve got sat there :-}

Got no receipt from the last guy... its proving it... i`ve just had a quick look and its fallen off the chimney completely

I think Winter Hill is about 30 miles away as the crow flies

Blimey, did'nt know some of the Worcester firms went as far as Liverpool <G>
Dave

There's no real substitute for suck it and see.
If you can get some information from neighbours it would help a lot; someone may have tried and failed, or succeeded.
If you can get away with a loft aerial it's an excellent choice, cheaper, no deterioration, easily fit it yourself, but radio wave transmission is a blackish art, and only with the right signal strength meter.
You say it would look through a brick wall - that might not be3 so bad, but is it looking through another 5, 10 in the row.
At my last house, a terrace with Crystal Palace, or is it the other place now? about 20 miles away we got excellent results with a pretty ornery loft aerial
mike r

Depending on how close to the eaves it went, it would probably go through 2-3 max
Thanks for the reply :-)

Any loft antennas, even in strong signal areas are likely to give poor results. In poor signal areas, the roof attenuates the signal a great deal, and in stronger areas the effect of reflected signals will cause ghosting and general fuzziness on analogue transmissions and high error rates leading to possible loss of picture on digital TV.
That is not to say that people don't have successful results, but by and large the results are disappointing.
You would be far better off finding an installer who will fit a good quality antenna like Antiference, Triax, Televes and not a contract grade unknown, and who will use satellite grade CT100 cable rather than cheap TV coax, and proper mountings. He should also have the correct equipment to align the antenna for optimum results - which does not necessarily mean strongest signal. Tell the installer that you want a good quality installation with good quality materials and ask them what they propose to supply.
Apart from in extreme conditions, this should last for 15 years or so.
Expect something like this to cost 120 to 150; not 50. If you just go for the cheapest price you will get the cheapest job and it won't last, as you have found.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Any idea if the likes of this would be better at avoiding these pitfalls? http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts 809&id374

Yeah... know what you mean

The nearest i`ve ever known an installer around here do as far as alignment is concerned is to point the thing in the same general direction as everyone elses :-}
Thanks for the reply !

It's not really possible to tell from the photo. Some contract grade antennas are built in this way (with the X configuration of directors) but other areas like the cable connection arrangement, which is important, and the general construction are poor.
That's why I suggested going for a known good branded product.
If you look on-line for products like Triax Unix, Antiference DX, Televes, you will find them in the 25-35 range.
Proper spec, CT100 cable costs from around 25-30 for a 100m reel - the cheap 10 satellite cable is not as good. You might be able to buy cable by the metre of course.
Other materials like mounts and brackets will cost about another 5, so you can do the job in material costs for about 60.
The situation that you have mentioned, going through walls and being at 30 miles from the transmitter gives me two negative points about a loft installation.
You could try it, and then if you have problems ask an installer to put the antenna that you have bought on the roof. In this scenario, it will have cost more because he won't have made a margin on the materials but would charge for the time.

I just took a quick look at yell.co.uk with a search on Aerial Services and Liverpool and there are the usual range of businesses with names like Low Cost, ABC and so on - basically to get your attention or appear near the top of a list.
If you want to find a good installer, one thing to look for is if they reference that they also do communal, SMATV and commercial work. Although not a guarantee, this is usually a pointer to an organisation with some level of competence and the right test equipment.
Unfortunately the proliferation of Sky dish installations has attracted a lot of cowboys into the business, who do many per day to a mediochre standard.
In part, it also depends on what you are prepared to accept in terms of quality of picture.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

We had Telewest cable in several years ago, and to test the line was in, one bloke dropped to all fours and put his tongle across the phone line. I was shocked - I asked him where his multimeter was, and he said they weren`t supplied with any.
Would have been great if they`d nicked the electricity service cable in the process and got 240V down there instead !
This wasn`t a "local" cable installer problem, as a friend 15 miles away under another Telewest contract area saw the same "test" carried out on his installation too.

50 volts across his 'tongle', or even tongue, (sorry, couldn't pass that one up :-) ) plus another 75ac if it rang would be pretty exillerating..........
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Thanks for explaining I was still getting the horrors trying to work it out, the "all fours" was a clincher.
My bum is *still* going two bob, half a crown......
mike r

LOL I only just noticed my spelling mistake :-} - "tongue" :-}

poor
will
I live in an area where the signal is rubbish and we are not allowed to have external aerials. It was a new house and the builder put in the wiring for 3 rooms which terminated in the loft. I went to a reputable installer and they fitted a fairly small aerial but a whopping big signal booster attached to it and the picture is great. Cost me 130 which I didn't think was too bad having seen the rubbish pictures some of my neighbours have. He didn't have to do anywiring but I guess he used quality products.
Angela

I am glad that you ended up with a good result.
Generally, adding amplification to a poor signal doesn't help because the amplifier itself introduces its own noise to the signal; and usually this is worse at higher levels of amplification.
A good quality commercial grade amplifier will have a better noise figure than a cheap one so should be used when a scenario like this happens.
Normally though, it is better to install a larger antenna and not need to add amplification......
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Indeed a cheap bubble pack "Booster" for what? 7.50? Is unlikely to have a better noise figure than a 300 TV.

Lets agree on a "better" antenna (from a proper manufacturer) rather than "bigger".
DG

Yes, exactly.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall wrote:

Totally agree. Boosting a 40dB S/N ratio signal gives at best - a 40dB S/N ratio!
You muts have reaosnbable signal strenght to start with. However ofetn its not height you want, but accurate location and adirectionality - both of which are as easily achieved with a loft aerial as one up a pole.
Only if you REALLY have to get the height to get any signal at all are externals indicated.

Another point to consider is that Yagi aerials are high "Q" which means they can be detuned by nearby solid (especially metal) objects. So try and mount the aerial as far away from dividing walls, water tanks etc as possible.
Paul
Colin Wilson wrote:

Do it.
I have a decent loft aerial mounted as high as possible - I am some 15 miles Line of sight from a not particularly strong transmitter (Sudbury) and get excellent recption off it, and the best bit is the connections and aerial are easily accesiible and not corrdng away in the weather.
Get teh bets and largest aerial you can firt. Mine is about 1.5m long, and just fitrs a few feet below the ridge. Sadly the signal is at right angles to teh ridge line, or I would have gone longer...it cots nme 11 quid from Tony Sayers favorite Cambridge shop.