Lockshield valves with drain-off

This was mentioned in my TRV4 thread, but wasn't the main subject, so I'm starting a new thread.

I've already discounted using valves with the drain-off in the tail because they would likely foul the out-turned seam on some of my rads as they were screwed in.

Looking at the BES online catalogue, there appear to be at least two types with outboard drain-offs - the 15mm ones being #7783 and #7508 respectively. I can see how they differ in appearance, but would someone care to explain how they differ in *function*? The second one apparently has a drain-off to BS 2767, Type 10. Anyone know what that means in real money?

BES also do a "Radiator Drain Off Valve" (part# 7509) which doesn't actually appear to be a radiator valve! Anyone know what that's for?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Re what you said above about the valve fouling your rads ...surely the part with the drain does not screw in to the rad . It's a seperate smaller tail part with a nut that screws in to the rad and the main body of the valve then attaches to it by screwing the previously mentioned nut to the valve .

Looking at 7509 however that looks as if it DOES screw in to the rad and looks as if it is just for draining off the contents of the rad so maybe gets used in a system where the rad has some other piping arrangment . It appears as if the stub at the bottom connects to a hose .??

Reply to
Stuart B

I was referring to valves such as the Pegler Terrier

where the drain is integral with the tail and *does* rotate as you screw it in.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Looks far too poncy that one .:-)

Reply to
Stuart B

Oi - I've got those ones!

They're OK, but I found them tricky to tighten without damaging the crome plating slightly.

Jon.

Reply to
Tournifreak

I use those on drop fed rads. 1, because they are good quality and rarely weep after years of service. 2 because you can connect a hose and drain it completely dry. That is, some of the inline drain valves have a small grub screw with o-ring. You have to use a bleed key to remove this and deal with water squirting everywhere while you push on the hose.

BES #7783 and #7508 are cheap and nasty so don=B4t waste your money. #7509 is used inline between rad and standard lockshield. You turn the the bottom assembly rather like a tap to open it. This is obviously better than the bleed screw variety. It can look a bit out of place as it moves the lockshield off the rad by about 10 cms.

If you want decent lockshields then use Myson or Pegler. Forget the valves you can buy for a few quid.

Martyn

Reply to
Martyn Pollard

Thanks for your comments. Do either Myson or Pegler do lockshields with the drain at the end - similar to (but hopefully better than!) the BES valves which I cited?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Yes Myson do one exactly like that with the drain off at 90 degrees to the wheelhead. The one with the bleed screw/ o-ring variety. You will have to go to one of the merchants to get them - I would recommend you try PTS as they carry a wider range of the Myson lockshield/wheelhead valves. Don=B4t be fobbed off with non-branded versions, as they can order in if they have no stock.

Reply to
Martyn Pollard