Locking wheel nut key lost

Do you have the code? Many cars have McGard wheel nuts and if you have the code you can order a replacement from them directly

18 euros for a ford one - don't know if Volvo is the same.. worth giving them a ring (free on 00800 25993400 )

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

They might scrap the wheels as well! The heads of the locking bolts on my Volvo V70 occupy the 'wells' in the wheel almost completely so that there's no room to grip the outside of them. It wouldn't do you any good if you could, because the outer ring rotates freely - and the key needs to fit an odd-shaped bit inboard of that.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Sounds like problem for the stupid tossers in question to fix for you.

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , charles writes

There are a least half a dozen different keys for a Land Rover - I know that cos my last Defender was "F"

Reply to
bert

In message , Bill writes

I've found that tyre fitters seem to totally ignore torque settings which for a Land Rover with alloys is a lot less than steels.

Reply to
bert

Well I haven't seen a car on bricks for a while. Which considering the price of ali could be considered odd. Maybe locking wheel nuts are enough of deterrent? After all each make if not model of car has it's own nut and with half a doezen or so variations of that.

On the cars I've tried it on it's difficult if not impossible to get a tube down into the fuel, presumably they either have a grid at the bottom of the filler or a deflector that directs the tube up at such an angle that it won't easily be turned back down.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Have you tried syphoning fuel recently? Last time I tried I found that there was some sort of anti-syphon device fitted in the filler neck. I think they're pretty standard these days.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Torque settings? Air impact driver on max more like!

Just Tyres used to make a thing of hand tightening nuts, but I stopped using them since they boned me[1]

[1] Went in for a couple of specific tyres on their website. They fitted and presented the bill which was rather a lot more than the website price. I argued and he said "oh, you only get the webprice if you book online".

So I told him if they wanted to play silly buggers with a vvery long term customer (20 years), then well done because they'd just lost me. I get my tyres fitted at the local garage now.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Kwik Fit don't use windy guns anymore, they use a torque wrench.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yes. But do they set it for each individual car? I've seen them just pick one up and use it. If all cars were the same, a windy gun set to that figure would be fine.

If it were used correctly, I'd expect to see a handy chart giving the torque settings for various models.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

========================= ================\

========================= ================/

Lock nut for a new Audi swmbo got was missing completely. As were the floor s mats, trim from the engine compartment and a fully functioning fog light switch. Selling garage couldn't give a toss. And they fitted different numb er plates to the front and back. Had to take it to a local main distributor who produced a box of lock nuts and matched hers. Fisrt and last Audi. And their service was crap.

Reply to
fred

But those Kwik Fit fitters are so highly trained and experienced, they have all the figures in their head, for every car ever made. They don't need no stinking charts.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

What a shame excellent cars otherwise, my A6 estate has just had its

19th birthday!.

Tho I do hear quite a few grumbles about Audi dealers from other owners I know, and when I bought mine originally they weren't all they might be thats why our second car then was a Volvo. The grade A snotty nosed prat of a salesman couldn't see that it was my wife who was buying a car not me!. Never spoke to her once but the Volvo salesman knew who to handle a lady;!...

Any thing I can't do with mice theres a very good two man garage that can and very reasonable priced they are too:)...

Reply to
tony sayer

When my key went missing the local Nissan dealer I use just ordered a new set of locking wheel nuts and a key and was able to replace them no problem in the time it took me to drink a coffee.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

That sounds as if you got a new key with matching nuts. How did you get the old ones off?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Yes, new set of nuts and a matching key.

Dealer removed the old ones with a set of keys they already had.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

No,because the torque settings on the air guns are hopelessly inaccurate, and as a result, I've seen far too many stretched studs.

Or, if the bolts are the same size and thread, which most car wheel bolts seem to be, they all need the same torque.

Reply to
John Williamson

But they're not - even for the same make. My previous Volvo V70 had 12mm bolts and the current one has 14mm.

Reply to
Roger Mills

As used on stretched limos?

Reply to
polygonum

Many yes, but don't just assume that.

My dad used to, and I know another garage also uses torque extensions.

Doesn't matter what the gun is set to, if the correct extension is used then the nuts will be done to the correct setting. I was amazed how accurate they were!

Of course, you have to trust they use the correct one...

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman