Locking wheel nut key lost

The stupid ******s at a local well-known firm of tyre fitters have lost the key for my wheel nuts. They put the wheel back, locked it, and kept the key, which they cannot now find.

What is the simplest solution? Ideally, I just need a replacement key. It's a Volvo C70 56 reg. I assume these are original Volvo spec.

Reply to
GB

Most likely. Skoda ones are availabe from Skoda dealers as my daughter discovered when her garage id the same as your tyre fitters. My current car and the previous one, came with 2 keys (one to use and one to lose).

Reply to
charles

It's then their problem if you pointed it out there and then.

There are usually a variety of keys even for one make. And I dunno if you can order up the correct one by chassis number. You may have to buy a set of nuts and matching key.

Any decent tyre place should be able to remove the old nuts without a key, if they're to be scrapped anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The stupid ******s at a local well-known firm of tyre fitters have lost

I trust the tyre fitters are going to pay! They broke the one with my sons Volvo and the replacement cost £33. Only available from Volvo dealer on production of proof of ownership. They are not just model dependant but vary right down to VIN number.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

If one key fitted all C70s, it'd be a bit of a crap "security" device, would it not?

There will be a fairly finite range of keys, but - yep - the dealer will need to know the VIN to order the right one unless there's a code written in the handbook.

TBH, I'd just get the damn things removed and fit plain bolts.

Reply to
Adrian

The snag may be proving they lost it - unless you checked when picking up the car. As I discovered with a BMW main dealer who over the years lost both of the keys. The fact that the rest of the toolkit was complete and unused held no ice with them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

not much use if you've got a roadside puncture.

When my daughter's Skoda lost its key, the VW/Skoda garage in our village simply took his complete set, found the one that fiited and ordered that. We had it the next day.

Reply to
charles

Or a mate that's going to nick your wheels and nice new set of tyres next week!

This reminds me, must check mine is still there I had a puncture repaired this morning, cost me 24 quid!!!!!

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Exactly. Stop faffing about and write to the manager giving them 5 working days to replace and deliver a genuine key at no cost to you.

They "lost" it they replace it. "Lost" probably means the fitter has a mate who had lost their key...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , charles writes

When the local fitters broke the key for my Disco, I went to an indie Landie dealer who identified and supplied the right one and made sure they could undo the particular wheel nut.. The local tyre fitters then broke the new one, too, and couldn't get the wheel off. I had to go back to the dealer, who replaced the locking nuts with standard ones.

Reply to
Bill

£8 for me the other day. Worth shopping around. If you're a regular at one dealer they may do it free but always ask first.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

That as well ...

£14.40 last month for me. B-) Big lump of road chipping. Garage wasn't sure it would work but with plenty of goop under the mushroom head of the largest plug made and I haven't had to top up the air since. B-)
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I am so glad my brother is a mechanic.

He charges the general public £10 to fix a puncture - and £5 for regulars ie for people who have their car serviced there - not people with lots of punctures.

Reply to
ARW

Probably a trip to your Volvo agent. Consider replacing locking nut/bolt with normal one, wheel theft isnt such a big issue these days. Some of the security bolt/keys are not very resilient and easily damaged ( Skoda ones). Last thing you want is to get stuck with a puncture.

Reply to
robert

Assuming you have a spare...

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Angle grinder.

Reply to
harryagain

Because most cars have locking wheel nuts by now?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Does anyone actually nick wheels anymore? Like does anyone siphon petrol out either?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Snap.

Kwik Fit did exactly the same for me, 20+ years ago.

I don't know exactly how the key I very carefully placed in an empty glovebox with no other contents, could suddenly vanish but it did. Multiple theories going through me head that some workshop oik there tea-leafed it to come round later and leave my car stood up on bricks.

I rang and complained with this and was offered apologises and a promised 10% discount for my next visit. Not been back since.

My next door neighbour successfully got the alloy wheel nuts off, using the tool of choice back then for this, the venerable angle grinder.

Reply to
Adrian C

No, they just put a hole in the tank and drain it into a bucket.

Reply to
dennis