Locking fuel tank

Apparently the local police where I live are advising people to lock their fuel oil tanks to prevent theft.

How would you do that?

Reply to
Michael Chare

Wouldn't make any difference - thieves would simply make a hole in the tank.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Build a security cage with a locking door around it, making sure any pipework is also enclosed. It will make yours more difficult to steal from than your neighbours', which is all you really need to achieve.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

FWIW

variations are about.

But with a plastic tank they would just drill a hole in it, possibly below the oil level and any oil they can't take/come out the hole before they have lowered the level will just end up on/in the ground leaving you with a big clean up bill, if the EA find out. Which they probably will via the Police when you report the theft as you'll need a crime reference number for insurance.

Might be worth checking what your household insurance covers you for. Theft (does the tank have to be locked, if so what makes them happy?), clean up?

Bear in mind that theft will probably involve a vehicle with tank and

12v pump so if your tank is right next to the road it's an easier target than one round the back of the house or some distance from vehicular access.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And fit an alram to the door, cheap one costs under £10. I use them for my garage door.

Reply to
SS

Oh alarms have been mentioned. I think you can get alarms that monitor the oil level and if it falls "a bit quick" the alarm is triggered. Might be useful for leaks but it would have to be a big and rapid onset leak.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Electric fence?

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Territorial dog running free around the area the tank is in. Jack Russels don't cost a lot to feed and make LOTS of noise if their territory is invaded by strangers. They are also fast and fearless little buggers.

Reply to
cynic

and completely mad.

Colin Bignell