Locked out

We have mislaid our keys for our back door and are now unable to ope

it. Is it worth trying to fix this yourself by drilling it out o something? And if so how do you go about it. It is a Yale Eur Cylinder with a key hole on both sides. I checked a locksmith and the quoted £80 which is a shame when I'm sure the key will turn u anytime. Thanks Ro

-- mr s

Reply to
mr s

is it a upvc doo

-- micky104

Reply to
micky104

Yale Euro cylinders are a challenge even for locksmiths so i dont fancy your chances. Often locksmiths have to destroy the cyminder to get it out,usually by drilling. A special drill bit would probably be needed in light of the toughness of the lock material. I have watched some locksmiths actually "make" a key to fit a lock. ( I sometimes get involved in repo type operations and have a locksmith with me!) With Yale Euros they either drill it or "make" a key,or maybe pick it if the lock is a bit worn.

Id tend to leave it a while incase the keys turn up. £80 isnt such a bad quote though!. Does that include a new yale euro cylinder or is that extra?

tarquinlinbin

In article , mr s writes

We have mislaid our keys for our back door and are now unable to open it. Is it

something? And if so how do

Cylinder with a key hole on both sides. I

quoted £80 which is a shame when I'm sure the

anytime.

Reply to
fred

Micky, Yes it is a upvc doo

-- mr s

Reply to
mr s

Yes, but the steel of the lock is pretty hard, and consider the likelihood of your drill bit slipping off and trashing the door. Would make 80 quid seem like a bargain!

David

Reply to
Lobster