Lock type for back gate ?

I have just made a couple of back gates, each approx 4 feet wide and 6 feet high on a

4 x 2 frame and with feather-edge cladding. What I would like is a lock that has a long, say 4" or so, key, that can be operated from both sides so that it can be locked from either side, and some sort of latching mechanism. I can only think of a "normal" shed type surface mount lock which I don't think will stand up to the weather for long before rusting up. Any suggestions (I have a Screwfix catalogue and B and Q / Wickes / Homebase all nearby. Thanks,

Nick

Reply to
nick smith

feet high on a 4 x

be operated from

On a single leaf gate, I used a Europrofile mortice lock, which has worked well. The lock faces are flush with the gate on both sides. I've not bothered with a latch mechanism, but you could use one with a spring bolt too, or just add a separate latch. On a pair, the second leaf would need a padlockable ground bolt, to stop someone just lifting the bolt and opening both together.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Hi Colin, Thanks for the reply - I hadn't thought of those locks - I assume these are the type frequently used in uPVC doors (patio doors etc) and we have one such here, but I haven't seen / noticed the other half that they slot into other than in a door already so equipped.

I am off the sheds this a.m. so will have a look.

Thanks, Nick

Reply to
nick smith

Those IME usually have multi-point locking, which usually involves lifting the handle before turning the key. The type I am referring to is probably the simplest of locks after the surface mounting type - a mortice lock with a single bolt. I used Europrofile because it enabled me to have a single key system, but you can get them with an ordinry key simply enough.

They normally come with both the lock and the striker plate when you buy them.

I am not a great fan of sheds, unless I need something urgently on a Sunday, when they probably won't have what I want anyway. I bought my lock from a locksmith and, on my double gates, I got the padlocking ground bolts from an architectural ironmonger.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar