Lock for new front door.

I am about to fit a new wooden front door. I will use a new lock.

What are the pros and cons of a traditional mortice lock and a Euro lock?

Thanks

mark

Reply to
Mark

I think if I had a sturdy wooden door without multi-point locking, I would prefer a mortice lock. I don't know much about locks, but I've heard of several ways of attacking a Euro lock, but very few ways of attacking a well-fitted mortice lock.

If you think a key has fallen into the wrong hands it's a bit easier to change a Euro cylinder than a mortice lock, but the price is about the same, so I don't think this is a compelling argument.

Reply to
DeadCat

Or consider a high security cylinder lock. Our insurance company was quite happy with that. Again, cylinder easy to change (although a bit more pricy due to the design).

Reply to
Bob Eager

In article , Mark writes

You can buy a BS approved mortice deadlock for 15quid but you wont get an approved euro cylinder lock for under 50.

In your place I would fit 2 locks, one a conventional BS approved mortice deadlock fitted just above knee height and an auto deadlocking cylinder based lock at shoulder height. Having the BS lock (and using it) means you don't need the cylinder lock to be BS approved and so you can save a bit of cash. Euro cylinder set-ups cost a lot to make properly secure so I wouldn't recommend them for most people. If you lose your keys you can replace the bottom mortice complete and just the top cylinder.

Examples: Cheap but serviceable BS Asec deadlock:

html or
(15quid) Ok BS ERA rimlock:
or
(30quid)

Reply to
fred

Thanks for the replies. Have abanoned the idea of a Euro lock and ordered a mortice lock and a cylinder rimlock.

mark

Reply to
Mark

In article , Mark writes

The frame can get a little weak around the area of the mortice strike box and around the rimlock strike. If you feel like going a bit further you can add strength to the frame by removing the architrave and fixing a continuous strip of builders' band down the length of the exposed frame edge on the hinge and strike sides. Fix with 3" x 10 screws at 2" intervals near the strikes/hinges and 6-8" elsewhere. Refit the architrave and fill the slight gap from the thickness of the band.

Builders' band:

or
(4.59GBP)

Reply to