Location for Boiler Power Supply

Hi all

Can anyone advise on boiler power supply details please?

Must it be adjacent to boiler? If pump and controls etc are in airing cupboard, can supply take off be sited there instead? Can it be spurred off any circuit (e.g. lighting) or must it come off power ring? Can the fused spur point (switched) be inside a cupboard ie built in with boiler?

Anything else I need to consider?

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 13:32:07 +0100 someone who may be "TheScullster" wrote this:-

It is covered in may references, including using a search engine on this newsgroup.

1) All the bits and pieces should be fed via one switch, so the whole lot can be isolated easily. 2) Fused spurs from a power circuit or a dedicated circuit are fine, depending on circumstances.
Reply to
David Hansen

I've no idea what the regs say, but from a practical point of view, it doesn't really matter - as long as you have a *single* supply, protected by a 3A fuse, where you can isolate the entire system. It's usual to spur it off a ring main. I suppose it *could* be connected to a lighting circuit, but may overload it - depending on what lights (or bathroom radiant heaters) are also connected.

As installed, my system was powered from a fused spur in the airing cupboard - near to the pump and motorised valve - with the boiler boing downstairs in the utility room. I have recently rewired it such that the whole lot is now powered from a 13A plug (with a 3A fuse!) near to the boiler. The idea of this is, in the event of very cold winters with sustained power cuts, I can easily unplug the system from the mains and connect it to a generator instead - always assuming, of course, that gas continues to flow!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Also, if the option's available, it's a good idea to have it on a non-RCD-protected circuit (like eg the freezer should be), to avoid losing frost protection if the thing trips out while you're away from home during the winter.

David

Reply to
Lobster