locating underground services

Hi there Does anybody know if there is a central database that would tell me where the pipes/cables are buried in my garden, I want to drive fence posts into the ground and dont want any nasty surprises. Its a private house and the deeds don't show anything.

Thanks for any help

Drew

Reply to
Drew

On Sun, 23 May 2004 12:41:28 +0100, "Drew" strung together this:

Yep, it's called a random pointing with a stick!

There will be plans somewhere, although these are probably out of date or whoever put the services in didn't follow the plans. The best bet is to hire yourself a CAT, like a big pipe and stud detector for use outdoors. You can trace the pipes and cables up and down your property then.

Reply to
Lurch

strung

Problem with a CAT is it will not find plastic pipes.

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

I would agree with that - and wouldn't rely on any "theoretical" database even if I could find one, which is unlikely anyway!

The gas main has recently been replaced in my road and, a few days before they started digging, the contractors went round with a fancy detector device, and maked *all* the services with colour coded markings - so that they knew what else to look out for.

There is a private sewer under my garden - which doesn't serve my property but had to be repaired when it got blocked. *No-one* could tell me the exact line it took until they dug it up!

Reply to
Set Square

On Sun, 23 May 2004 14:20:20 +0100, "Stephen Dawson" strung together this:

I think you may be wrong on that one. I'd be interested if you could prove me wrong.

Reply to
Lurch

Before I get into this, how many of you own a CAT and have been trained to use it??

Steve Dawson

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

On Sun, 23 May 2004 16:26:40 +0100, "Stephen Dawson" strung together this:

Unfortunately not, my Dad used to sell them so I borrow his.

Yep, although without one in front of me I couldn't tell you how to operate it!

Reply to
Lurch

In message , Stephen Dawson writes

... Or BT fibre-optic bundles

Reply to
geoff

What's your dad's name?? Did he work for RD??

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

"Stephen Dawson" wrote | Problem with a CAT is it will not find plastic pipes.

Which is why you can buy "buried pipe below" tapes with wires in. I think they work like the security tags on clothes etc and "resonate" when the detector gets them excited.

Whether such tapes were used of course.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I use a CAT & GENNY on a daily basis and believe me they are a long way from foolproof. If you have little or no experience with them save your money. Ask the utilities for plans and hand dig if they show services anywhere near where you want to drive your posts.

Reply to
Jb

On Sun, 23 May 2004 17:38:49 +0100, "Stephen Dawson" strung together this:

No, he worked for MCA Calder then left to set up Caldervale Technology Ltd. Now he's gone back to what he did before, plumbing, heating and gas installations.

Reply to
Lurch

You want a cat and a genny - you may be very surprised at what you find if the house is of any age!

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

Thanks for all the replys, at the weekend I shall be mostly digging holes.

Drew

Reply to
Drew

"Drew" wrote | Thanks for all the replys, at the weekend I shall be mostly digging holes.

My local library had a Transco information sheet. It's aimed at Scotland, but might be helpful to others.

Transco (Plant Location)

95 Kilburnie Street Tradeston Glasgow G5 8JD Tel 0141 418 4093 office hours.

Moleseye (Scotland) Ltd

0800 800 333

Moleseye will notify all utilities, pipeline operators and the relevant local authority of your proposed works. Given sufficient notice then can supply you with drawings and enable you to comply with the New Roads And Street Woks Act 1991 (HAUC Code of Practice for the co-ordination of streetworks and works for road purposes and related matters) and the Health and Safety Executive document HS(G)47 Avoiding Danger From Underground Services.

Owain

Reply to
Owain